Model Train Forum banner
5881 - 5900 of 5988 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Received my CB & Q Hudson that was recently purchased off a STOUT Auction. I'm happy. It's heavy, well made, shows no wear on rollers or wheels. I paid $485 plus $35.80 shipping on an item I have to believe was what? $1400 new. Appears to be a shelf queen. Once the track is down and electrified, it won't be.

I now have steam in 2 of my 3 road names, and I don't like steam overall. The only reason is my age, I never saw steam new. I have done some excursions behind steam. I would love to get more steam, perhaps a Milwaukee Road non-Hiawatha, which is my other steam locomotive purchased by my wife for Christmas.

Train Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Wheel

Wood Interior design Floor Flooring Couch

·
Admin
47,477 Posts
Impressive, what is the brand and age?
It's an MTH premier, from the late 90's. At $225 I figured it was a pretty good deal.
Received my CB & Q Hudson that was recently purchased off a STOUT Auction. I'm happy. It's heavy, well made, shows no wear on rollers or wheels. I paid $485 plus $35.80 shipping on an item I have to believe was what? $1400 new. Appears to be a shelf queen. Once the track is down and electrified, it won't be.

I now have steam in 2 of my 3 road names, and I don't like steam overall. The only reason is my age, I never saw steam new. I have done some excursions behind steam. I would love to get more steam, perhaps a Milwaukee Road non-Hiawatha, which is my other steam locomotive purchased by my wife for Christmas.
Steam will grow on you, soon you'll be selling diesels. :p:p

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Great looking locomotive Bryan. MTH PS1, I presume. A nice running system that can be upgraded if you choose.

My latest buys…all prepainted…

A Weaver Raritan River 50’ car, Two rail, I converted to 3 rail…
Train Vehicle Rolling stock freight car Wheel

A MTH Erie 50’ double door car. It has end doors, but they are not operational like on my Lionel version of the same car…
Train Rolling stock Rectangle freight car Track

And finally, a couple more Wolf’s Head Oil tankers to add o the fleet…
Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

Train Vehicle Wheel Rolling stock Rolling

Tom

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
About ten days ago ago Paula and I visited with Don and Julia Jones. Don is disposing of a layout for a friend who recently passed and we were interested in a couple of items.

Our favorite is a MTH Virginian triplex. Paula has requested that the exhaust fan be turned on BEFORE the engine is started up. The two smoke units form clouds when operating.

Train Land vehicle Wheel Rolling stock Toy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
That is an impressive piece of machinery! Did you acquire the beast?

I have the black version of the Erie Triplex (MTH O scale) and in HO, also by MTH. It was the second O scale locomotive I ever bought!

Tom

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Tom we couldn’t pass it up. We are expecting to receive a number of Virginian coal gondolas from Scott Mann in the next few weeks and this engine should do a good job with them.

Now if we can just complete the second level of the layout…

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Tom we couldn’t pass it up. We are expecting to receive a number of Virginian coal gondolas from Scott Mann in the next few weeks and this engine should do a good job with them.

Now if we can just complete the second level of the layout…
Congratulations are certainly in order! It will be impressive pulling a draft of hoppers!

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
That was the fashion back in the 1940’s. Pretty typical back then. The character was updated many times since 1911.

Great looking Morton roster, Bill. The graphics are very vibrant. I remember the slogan “When it rains, it pours” having to do with the patented metal spout on the cans and the packaging that helped keep the salt dry.

Jetguy, that is a nice Pacific. Are you going to repaint it?

Tom

·
Admin
47,477 Posts
I remember the slogan “When it rains, it pours” having to do with the patented metal spout on the cans and the packaging that helped keep the salt dry.
Tom
Nope, it was the chemicals they added. ;)

In 1911, The Morton® Salt Company began adding magnesium carbonate (an anti-caking agent) to salt which allowed it to pour freely, even in humid weather. (Today, the company uses calcium silicate.) To promote its new free-flowing table salt, the company took inspiration from the old 18th century proverb “It never rains but it pours.” The saying — which means when one bad thing happens, it tends to be followed by other misfortunes that make an already bad situation worse – wasn’t just one that most folks had heard time and time again, it also allowed for a clever play on words (the “it” in the proverb would be their salt, which does pour in rain.) After a bit of tweaking, the now famous “When it rains it pours” was settled upon and advertised.

5881 - 5900 of 5988 Posts