Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 5013 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Great purchases everyone.
I like seeing what others have purchased...new or used.

Pat, I like those Weaver cars. I've been thinking about looking for some of those troop cars. Had some on order from Weaver, but they cancelled them. If Atlas does issue these as they say, I will order some.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Lionel235W.jpg

Laidoffsick, that's a gorgeous loco--very nice!!
Here's my soon-to-be-latest acquisition, Lionel set # 235W freight set from the 1937 catalog. I have this set's "twin," the un-catalogued version: same 249E loco, but with the small 800-series 4-wheel cars. Same bodies, but the cars only have 4 wheels instead of 4-wheel trucks. This isn't a set I'd go out of my way to buy, but a friend of ours led me to it and I can't pass up a good deal on well-cared-for tinplate. It's not mine yet, but it will be in the coming days.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Keith, I like that a lot. I have been looking for a red/white/blue,car for a while and I enjoy the nice clean looks of this one. Putting it on my want list. Enjoy yours. Tucgary

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Keith, I like that a lot. I have been looking for a red/white/blue,car for a while and I enjoy the nice clean looks of this one. Putting it on my want list. Enjoy yours. Tucgary
Thanks! I like the grphics design too. There actually was a prototype, though it was a 4-bay hopper. MTH also did this car as a 3-bay hopper too. They are out there, it just took me a while to purchase one.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Just purchased my third Williams locomotive off of another forum. My Williams N&W J class has been my main runner for my Redford Theatre layout and after 4 years has hardly shown any signs of wear. I figured it couldn't hurt to have another berkshire around for some running. Should be here this week. I'm also interested in this one since it's the only williams locomotive that I have the postwar Lionel counterpart to compare to.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
It should give you long service, most of the Williams stuff is practically bulletproof! :)
So I've noticed! My N&W J has hardly any signs of wear after about 3 or 4 seasons of running, but the Lionel Polar Express berkshire I put on the layout for one season already shows signs of flange and pickup roller wear. I like my Lionel stuff, but I think Williams wins in this type of functionality :laugh:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just purchased my third Williams locomotive off of another forum. My Williams N&W J class has been my main runner for my Redford Theatre layout and after 4 years has hardly shown any signs of wear. I figured it couldn't hurt to have another berkshire around for some running. Should be here this week. I'm also interested in this one since it's the only williams locomotive that I have the postwar Lionel counterpart to compare to.

Nice purchase. I like the look of that. Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Lionel Union Pacific Caboose

This UP caboose arrived today. I don't have that many cabooses, about ten in total maybe, so this will be used frequently, since I run Union Pacific a lot. It's been discussed previously, so I will only add that it is top quality, befitting its price, with good lights, detail, including enough of the interior to see through the windows, and two figures, and smoke, which is this case seems to mostly cause a slight smoke odor, little more (okay by me, smoking cabooses are not a bit thing with me.

Caboose 2.jpg

I have this same basic caboose, also UP, but in all brown. I was not expecting to be surprising, but in the lighter color I could see the crack around the doors anddisscovered that they open. I never noticed that on the dark brown one. Nice, although what good it is, is beyond me. Still, it is fun.
Caboose 1.jpg

·
Registered
871 Posts
Lee,
The first picture looks like Weber Canyon on the UP line!

Add me to the list of UP caboose owners.

I'm really excited to see the BB Commerative caboose arrive in DEC. Should be a very nice piece.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Lionel235W.jpg

I've never seen that "Pulling for You" caboose--I might just have to get one of those. I finally picked up this set that I found a few weeks ago, a Lionel 235W freight set from the 1936 catalog. The loco was recently professionally cleaned, lubed and re-wired, so it's ready for service. At York, if I can find a good deal on replacements for the flat car and tank car, I'll probably upgrade those. Otherwise, a little cleaning and this set is ready to go.

I don't know who was happier at the end of the deal: me for adding another set to the collection, or the man I bought it from, for knowing the set went to a good home.

41 - 60 of 5013 Posts