Model Train Forum banner
6101 - 6120 of 6165 Posts

·
Admin
47,901 Posts
Picked up the MTH Premier Q2 with a bad board and stuck one I had handy into it. It runs OK, but the articulated locomotives require a special 5V FLASH board, so I'll have to retrofit the PS32 board, that's more work. So, as you can see, no articulated chuffing, but that will happen when I get some time...

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Picked up the MTH Premier Q2 with a bad board and stuck one I had handy into it. It runs OK, but the articulated locomotives require a special 5V FLASH board, so I'll have to retrofit the PS32 board, that's more work. So, as you can see, no articulated chuffing, but that will happen when I get some time...

I miss it already! Never saw it run… Enjoy that 23 pound monster!

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
View attachment 588314
MTH PRR L1s heavy mikado
Great looking engine!

They do have a weak spot that you should be careful of. The valve gear hangers are a bit fragile and break in half if they are handled roughly. I have three of these engines and one required a repair using JB Weld as the part is not available from MTH.

They are still great Locomotives…

Tom

·
Admin
47,901 Posts
They do have a weak spot that you should be careful of. The valve gear hangers are a bit fragile and break in half if they are handled roughly. I have three of these engines and one required a repair using JB Weld as the part is not available from MTH.
Hmm, I'll make sure to handle the valve gear gently! It's back on the bench getting a PS/2 3V board so it'll have the right articulated sounds. The PS32 board is too tall to fit there, and the connectors aren't in the same places, so that would require lengthening some wires as well. I'll also add a tender roller since it only has two fairly closely spaced rollers.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
John, I was talking about the MTH PRR L1. I had one that snapped the valve gear hanger. Fixed it, but I am keeping it.

The Q2 was mechanically sound. I would have disclosed any defects before selling! 😊 maybe…lol

Tom

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Received my Golden Gate Milwaukee Road Tip Top Lounge yesterday. Interesting mix up on my part. I wanted the end of car Sky Top Car but I did not know what it was called, so I ordered the Tip Top Lounge car thinking that was it. I spent the last 2 years waiting for the iconic end of car Sky Top car and passed on getting some MTH and Lionel ones on ebay.

Well - I can't be happier for my mistake. This is a cool car that Milwaukee Road placed in the center of consists. Kitchen in the middle. Built in 1947, I can run it with my Hiawatha steam or any of my later Milwaukee Road Diesels.

I have no other passenger cars coming from Golden Gate. Too expensive for me. But this one is nice and will be mixed in with my MTH Premier and Lionel mix. I have 18" and 21".
Picture frame Wood Plant Floor Flooring

Musical instrument Wood Hardwood Flooring Folk instrument

·
Admin
47,901 Posts
The Q2 was mechanically sound. I would have disclosed any defects before selling! 😊 maybe…lol
I finished fitting the 3V board so I had the proper sounds, and I also added a pickup roller to the tender, now it has almost two feet between rollers, I think that fixes any switch issues. :D

·
Registered
4,809 Posts

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Very nice. The William's diesels are noted for their pulling power and long-term reliability.

Your F7s are listed in Williams 2000-2001 catalog. In addition to the pic below, here's the Catalog's Link from the Backman website.

I have an ABA in SP Daylight with dual motors in both A units also listed in the that catalog . And 7 matching Williams Crown Edition extruded aluminum passenger cars from the early 80's. And a matching Williams GS-4. I'm hoping to run that on my seasonal layout this holiday season.

Alas, all that is actually for sale as I'm focused on Pre-War tinplate.

Train Font Vehicle Parallel Screenshot

6101 - 6120 of 6165 Posts