Model Train Forum banner
6121 - 6140 of 6165 Posts

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I picked up a few preorders from Nicholas Smith the other day. An SD-9 and an R50B. Also, got a used BAR box car for my red, white and blue train. The SD-9 is quite plain. Not even an F for the front. Not sure if that’s prototypical PRR or skimping on Railking products. Seemed like all new faces at Nicholas Smith. I was told Joey left in the spring.
Train Plant freight car Vehicle Rolling stock

Train Rolling stock Track Wood Wheel

Train Vehicle Rolling stock freight car Wood

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
A couple of favorites. I have a PRR SD9 in my collections every since I was a kid. The first was an Athearn HO model, then a Railking SD9.

They were purchased by the PRR with the idea of running them on one of their western mainline divisions in Indiana that had some sort of a long ruling grade…

They were setup for long hood forward...

The BAR boxcar is another lifelong favorite. I have a few in O scale and I have an AHM HO version from the 1970’s. My brother bought it for me as a Christmas gift back then. The car cost .99 cents plus tax! I still have the car and the box it came in…

The reefer looks great too. I have seen pictures of PRR trains pulling solid blocks of those type cars with a cabin car on the hind end..

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a used Lionel U.P. 2-8-0 Consolidation 6-28038. I think it was released by Lionel in 2001. It’s not in new condition but still very nice. Three of the stanchions on the upper handrails on the tender were broken. I made a repair by gluing them together. It turned out OK.

The new 2022 Lionel 2-8-0 Consolidations that were just released recently don’t seem to have any more separately added details than mine. They are selling for around $750. My engine was around one third of that. Of course the electronics on the new ones are more advanced. I run mine in conventional mode and am very happy.

Wheel Train Green Rolling stock Plant

Train Wheel Green Vehicle Rolling stock

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got a nice clean Lionel 624 switcher that I serviced and she's running smooth.
The Lionel Lines aluminum passenger cars were absolute concrete sleds. My f3 2344 had a hard time pulling them. Got the wheels and trucks all cleaned and oiled. Rewired one of the cars. All bulbs working. Lightly polished and they're running smooth again!
Train Rolling stock Mode of transport Vehicle Railway
Train Rolling stock Vehicle Railway Railroad car

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Railway Railroad car
Train Rolling stock Track Wheel Railway
Train Rolling stock Railway Line Rolling

Attachments

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Wow. Even the postwar? That's what those are. I figured it was good ol American rust and corrosion freezing them up
I don't know about the Lionel's post war extruded aluminum cars. MPC or later for the Lionel in my picture as Lionel didn't render a postwar SP Daylight edition. The Williams car is early 1980s, Crown Edition.

Note: Lionel made two postwar versions: full fluted (as in your cars) and ones with a flat panel. See the Tandem Associates Link on your cars.

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Document

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice find Donnie. 624s are sweet runners and the 15” cars are classy. All Postwar Lionel is US made but as Mike says everyone has made the 15” cars. My CP set is a mix of Lionel and Williams. They are pretty much identical.

Pete
I agree that the cars are very sharp. They are a perfect example of postwar classic. They look great behind my 2344 AA engines. Couldn't be happier with the switcher. Especially since I live in Ohio! I believe it's an early version from 1952 because it's got the ten stanchions holding the handrails. Really nice smooth low speed runner.

·
Admin
47,901 Posts
I bought these two for the running gear, I need a few of the little K-Line motorized unit drive blocks, both powered and unpowered. However, the Plymouth was so cute that after I got it running, I don't have the heart to rip it apart! 😉 I may try to trade it for several non-working K-Line pieces to get what I need.

Toy Train Rolling stock Asphalt Rolling

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I was at a local auction last week and picked up a few items. One item is the Lionel Postwar AT&SF reefer. Typically the blue script on these reefers don't hold up up after 70 years of handling but this guy has survived and looks darn near in like new condition. Had to bid on it and won the auction at $12.50.

Bill

Train Rolling stock Plant Track Vehicle

Water Vehicle Train Rolling stock Mode of transport

Rolling stock Wood Mode of transport Urban design Track

6121 - 6140 of 6165 Posts