Model Train Forum banner
6141 - 6160 of 6165 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Another item that I picked up at the local auction is what I think was the Lionel PW 2028 Pennsy GP-7. The reason I say I think its the 2028 is that there is zero lettering on the shell and looks like there never was. If a previous owner had removed the lettering it was done to perfection. The locomotive has the usual dust in the difficult to get to places from being a 70 year old locomotive. The Geep runs great, hard to figure out what I have.

Any of the PW experts ever heard of an unlettered 2028 and was the original lettering heat stamped or painted ?

Bill

Photograph Hood Light Automotive lighting Wood

Train Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Track

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The proper Tandem & Associates link says that the lettering would have been rubber stamped and was easily worn off. Likely the case for your locomotive. Looks like an unpainted plastic shell based on the "gloss" finish. Probably even easier to rub lettering off bare plastic than if it was painted.

Another website that reports the same.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
The proper Tandem & Associates link says that the lettering would have been rubber stamped and was easily worn off. Likely the case for your locomotive. Looks like an unpainted plastic shell based on the "gloss" finish. Probably even easier to rub lettering off bare plastic than if it was painted.

Another website that reports the same.
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like a candidate for a winter painting project.

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Train Track Rolling stock Rolling Vehicle

Train Wheel Rolling stock Vehicle Rolling

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Locomotive Window

Circuit component Gas Audio equipment Machine Font

So, I took a chance on an MPC 8477 NYC GP9. Got it at a reasonable price on the Bay. Figured I'd take a chance on her since she's built pretty close to postwar specs. Pullmor type 1 with magentraction Took her apart and cleaned, greased, and oiled her up! Nice and smooth running. Glad I took a chance. I'm thinking the right mpc era products are pretty darn nice.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Very nice loco Donnie. But then, I may be biased since I have the same model. My wife got it for me as a Christmas present when it first came out. It saw a lot of run time back in the day. Still works fine though it doesn't see much track time these days.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
View attachment 590180
View attachment 590181
View attachment 590182
View attachment 590183
So, I took a chance on an MPC 8477 NYC GP9. Got it at a reasonable price on the Bay. Figured I'd take a chance on her since she's built pretty close to postwar specs. Pullmor type 1 with magentraction Took her apart and cleaned, greased, and oiled her up! Nice and smooth running. Glad I took a chance. I'm thinking the right mpc era products are pretty darn nice.
Yep, the early MPC with Pulmore motors are an exceptional value.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Picked up the Lionel C&O Yellowbelly Hudson. It's slated to get a full upgrade, Pittman motor, Cruise, fan driven smoke, etc. I have a nice string of K-Line C&O heavyweights for it to pull.
View attachment 590442
Cool, it is a good looking steamer. Been running mine for a couple months now, your upgrades will make it a terrific running steamer.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
View attachment 590415
View attachment 590414
View attachment 590412
View attachment 590411
View attachment 590413
I had purchased the 1-700e a little over a month ago. Decided it needed the reporduction freight cars as well. I'm really impressed with the quality of these cars. They're all a nice heavy diecast except for the boxcar is a nice quality bakelite type plastic. Probably the nicest set I have.
Very nice, the reproduction freight cars are a perfect addition for the Hudson.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
View attachment 590415
View attachment 590414
View attachment 590412
View attachment 590411

View attachment 590413
I had purchased the 1-700e a little over a month ago. Decided it needed the reporduction freight cars as well. I'm really impressed with the quality of these cars. They're all a nice heavy diecast except for the boxcar is a nice quality bakelite type plastic. Probably the nicest set I have.
Donnie, I take it those are all Lionel cars? They also made two cars not made in the pre war era, a Lackawanna Reefer and C&O Stock Car equally well made.
Also most everyone else made these cars including Williams in brass, MTH, and K-Line along with their scale Hudsons. A classic set for sure.

Pete

6141 - 6160 of 6165 Posts