Model Train Forum banner
6181 - 6200 of 6227 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Finished painting some boxcars…Weaver and MTH… View attachment 590828
View attachment 590830
View attachment 590829

Also bought a couple factory painted cars, a boxcar…

View attachment 590831

And finally, a Weaver Reefer that was factory painted but weathered by me…

View attachment 590832
View attachment 590833

Tom
My choice would be the Chicago and Great Western, a solid Iowa and Granger road name, but of course they all look good. I will eventually get around to buying a few C&GW rolling stock items.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Well, a lot of Atlas rolling stock has a lot of fragile detail, more so than other brands. While that really looks good, it can get broken in handling.

For Atlas engines, I personally avoid them, and I hate working on them! It seems pretty clear to me that Atlas put very little though into the maintainability of their powered equipment. There are some that aren't super difficult, but a majority of them are more difficult to service than either Lionel or MTH equipment.
I'm sorry to hear that you don't like Atlas engines. I hardly ever pull the bodies off my locomotives, except MTH for battery work.

I am a big fan of Atlas rolling stock. More than any other manufacturer, they seek out the odd interesting rolling stock, have some real good molds in my opinion and even their TRAINMAN "Rail King" level cars impress me with O scale dimensions and nice colors and detail.

·
Admin
48,198 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you don't like Atlas engines. I hardly ever pull the bodies off my locomotives, except MTH for battery work.
I have no problem with them until they need service, many of the locomotives were never designed for ease of service! There are certain models from any manufacturer that are harder to maintain than others, it just that Atlas has way more examples of difficult to service engine models.

I like the look of much of the Atlas rolling stock, just a lot of it has very delicate detail that is easy to break during normal handling. I only have a couple Atlas engines, but I have quite a bit of their rolling stock, I just know to be careful with it.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
i have finished some mods to this baggage/dorm car and put her back in service. View attachment 591172 View attachment 591173
Great looking cars. The letter board and stripe give the car a simple but sharp appearance…

My choice would be the Chicago and Great Western, a solid Iowa and Granger road name, but of course they all look good. I will eventually get around to buying a few C&GW rolling stock items.
I have quite a few Mid-west based roadnames I have painted. I also have a ton of decal sets in waiting! The CGW car has a slight error on one side. I will probably do another using the second set on the sheet..

I have no problem with them until they need service, many of the locomotives were never designed for ease of service! There are certain models from any manufacturer that are harder to maintain than others, it just that Atlas has way more examples of difficult to service engine models.

I like the look of much of the Atlas rolling stock, just a lot of it has very delicate detail that is easy to break during normal handling. I only have a couple Atlas engines, but I have quite a bit of their rolling stock, I just know to be careful with it.
[/QUOTE]

I really like Atlas products, but they are definitely delicate. Put them on the layout and don’t touch them again!

Like John says, just be mindful when handling the cars.

I actually have the some issue with some Weaver cars with their delicate stirrups. They break easily while stripping and reassembling the cars…

Tom

·
Admin
48,198 Posts
I actually have the some issue with some Weaver cars with their delicate stirrups. They break easily while stripping and reassembling the cars…
Yep, Weaver cars also are very fragile. I have some Weaver tank cars, the trim breaks if you sneeze around them. :D

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Got my last U30C unless they make a different Rock Island version then I have - MTH Premier Milwaukee Road powered 2.0 to go with a non powered Lionel U30C I picked up 2 years ago.

I now have an MTH Premier U30C for Burlington Route in Chinese Red, a Lionel U30C Burlington Route in Chinese Red - both powered, the single Rock Island U30C, the 2 Milwaukee Road and for extra measure I have a Williams U33C, so 6 is enough.
Train Picture frame Rolling stock Vehicle Wood

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
That is a great looking U-Boat! I have a few six axle GEs in different roadnames (D&H, PRR and a NJDOT/EL)

I have a couple Burlington GPs in the red/grey scheme. I always like the way they looked. I am a bit of a Milwaukee fan too, but I only have electric locomotives and no diesels…yet...

Tom

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
York Haul

A few Baby Ruth boxcars, an MTH Clark boxcar, an Atlantic tank car (with fragile/broken grab rails), a Crown Models REA wood side reefer, MTH modern tank car, MTH Transformer car, MTH PRR crane car and a Peter Lerro print.

I’m hoping the crane car can be run on my layout. I have a premier crane car that won’t clear overpasses when the boom is raised high enough for it the clear on the side.

I also picked up some parts from MTH including an EL RS3 shell that I will swap out on my Reading RS3 on occasion.

Met Peter Lerro’s dad (same name) and had an interesting conversation. He said that when Pete was in grade school, his teacher said that he needed to concentrate more on his studies and less on drawing pictures of trains in class.
Train Plant Rolling stock Wheel Track

Plant Rolling stock Wheel Mode of transport Track

Train Rolling stock Track Mode of transport Plant

Train Plant Wheel Rolling stock Nature

Train Rolling stock freight car Wheel Track

Plant Train Rolling stock Nature Track

Train Plant Rolling stock Nature freight car

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Railway Mode of transport

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Picked this little MTH reproduction Lionel set up on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Although a very simple set, they did a nice job replicating a very rare early Prewar set pretty much as it was (aside from the Phillips head screws....). It should go well with the pre-1923 O gauge Lionel products I acquired over the last couple of years for the holiday exhibit that a coworker and I assembled for the Christmas event at the museum I work at. If I recall correctly, Lionel originally cataloged this "Armored Train Set" between 1917 and 1921.

Train Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Rolling stock

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
This ended up being my lone York purchase. A prewar, American Flyer, tin, litho bridge. It needs a bath but it's in very nice shape and they're typically missing the ramps. I'm happy I didn't walk out empty handed!
View attachment 591582

View attachment 591583
Very nice. I'm resigned to seasonal layout after I moved 2 years ago. But I could see my tinplate running over that bridge on my old layout.

I picked up an American Flyer/Gilbert station for my Christmas layout at a local train show beginning of Oct.. Its base is a very heavy gauge steel. It was badly rusted and needed sand blasting. For $10, right up my alley. Painted it Christmas colors matching my other restored accessories.

Wood Red Gas Rectangle Wood stain

6181 - 6200 of 6227 Posts