Model Train Forum banner
6201 - 6220 of 6227 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Very nice. I'm resigned to seasonal layout after I moved 2 years ago. But I could see my tinplate running over that bridge on my old layout.

I picked up an American Flyer/Gilbert station for my Christmas layout at a local train show beginning of Oct.. Its base is a very heavy gauge steel. It was badly rusted and needed sand blasting. For $10, right up my alley. Painted it Christmas colors matching my other restored accessories.
That's what I'm going to use it for, my Christmas layout. I need to find one of those stations too. Nice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Picked up several Lionel boxcars from the late 1990's. I believe Lionel advertised these as "new era" 6464 boxcars with numbers on the car indicating the year made and number in the series: 6464-196, 6464-296, etc. These were produced 1996-1999 with three cars issued per year, and two "extra" cars in 1997. I like these cars. They have full columns of rivets on the sides, metal door guides, attractive pain schemes reminiscent of mid-century, and Lionel's die-cast sprung trucks. They can generally be had for $15 - $25 each.

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Track Railway

Train Rolling stock Wood Mode of transport Track

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Delving into the Rock Island a bit…

An Atlas F3 I picked up cheap. It had damage to the rear ladders and both couplers and loose car body windows . Fixed all that...

Train Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock Track

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Railway Mode of transport

Also a Lionel Legacy GP7 in Rock Island colors…

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Wheel Railway

also picked up a Rock Island WV caboose, to match…

Train Window Vehicle Rolling stock Wheel

Tom

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Been adding to my single sheath boxcar fleet. This is my third Crown boxcar with a different road number. They match up well with Atlas. Also another Weaver MDT reefer. Found the boxcar at York and the reefer at the Syracuse show this past weekend. Both at 20 bucks. Just added weight so they are ready to roll.

Train Window Building Mode of transport Rolling stock

Pete

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had a B Day last week. The family got me the following presents. Some Menards rolling stock. Shown below.
Also received 4 of the 6 Denver Die cast+ 51 Ford pickups with whitewall tires. Picture of a white one is shown below. I do not think these Denver Die Cast+ 51 Ford trucks even made it into the Menards online catalog.
It was a nice B Day for sure. Had some delicious BBQ at a local BBQ joint to boot.

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling
Vehicle Toy Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling
Vehicle Wheel Rolling Rectangle Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Toy

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Delving into the Rock Island a bit…

An Atlas F3 I picked up cheap. It had damage to the rear ladders and both couplers and loose car body windows . Fixed all that...

View attachment 592297
View attachment 592298

Also a Lionel Legacy GP7 in Rock Island colors…

View attachment 592305

also picked up a Rock Island WV caboose, to match…

View attachment 592306

Tom
Yeah Tom! Going to make a Rock Island man of you yet! I just bid on ebay for the above noted caboose. But, as is typical of me, I may already have it or one very similar. I have the ubiquitous MTH F3 set of the Atlas you have above. I hemmed and hawed when TRAINZ had several of the Atlas F3's on eBay and their site about 3 months ago and just said NO, I'll stick with my MTH PS 1.0's. I have an ABA, 2 powered. But your crisp HD photography shows these Atlas models to be nicely detailed, probably better then the MTH versions.

I have several GP's in the Rock Island and just put an older MTH PS 1.0 RTR on ebay. That Legacy version looks awesome, better detailed then most. I have several MTH and a Williams, not nearly as detailed and feature laden.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Picked up several Lionel boxcars from the late 1990's. I believe Lionel advertised these as "new era" 6464 boxcars with numbers on the car indicating the year made and number in the series: 6464-196, 6464-296, etc. These were produced 1996-1999 with three cars issued per year, and two "extra" cars in 1997. I like these cars. They have full columns of rivets on the sides, metal door guides, attractive pain schemes reminiscent of mid-century, and Lionel's die-cast sprung trucks. They can generally be had for $15 - $25 each.

View attachment 592021

View attachment 592022
These are a great value and really nicely detailed for the era. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Yeah Tom! Going to make a Rock Island man of you yet! I just bid on ebay for the above noted caboose. But, as is typical of me, I may already have it or one very similar. I have the ubiquitous MTH F3 set of the Atlas you have above. I hemmed and hawed when TRAINZ had several of the Atlas F3's on eBay and their site about 3 months ago and just said NO, I'll stick with my MTH PS 1.0's. I have an ABA, 2 powered. But your crisp HD photography shows these Atlas models to be nicely detailed, probably better then the MTH versions.

I have several GP's in the Rock Island and just put an older MTH PS 1.0 RTR on ebay. That Legacy version looks awesome, better detailed then most. I have several MTH and a Williams, not nearly as detailed and feature laden.
Thanks Bryan. The Atlas engine is nice, but the typical Atlas details that are terribly fragile. The rear steps are plastic, and one was broken off. I repaired it, but I have some metal versions I am going to fit to the engine, instead.

I picked up the Lionel dummy RI Geep 9 to go with the other unit. The Geeps and the F3 are all TMCC, so they could run together in theory.

I have painted five RI boxcar too! The last one will be a OB car, hopefully finishing this weekend..

A pair of Atlas Trainman Rainier boxcars join the beer fleet on the S&Y RR

View attachment 592992

View attachment 592993
Bill, those reefers have a nice, modern look to them. It seems many billboard reefers are a bit “busy” looking, but these are great looking...

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been working on my new layout and building a three set wrecking crane train. I've learned a lot of new skills doing this. From cutting plastic to learning how to fill gaps. First I bought a used MTH premier crane car, then a old MTH 70 ft. combo car and last, a Lionel all metal tank car from the late 40's. I cut the combo car body in half and added the extra end back on a much smaller body. This is the crane tender. Crew quarters and LED lighting were added inside. I installed wood decking for the crane arm. Painted the set a flat black and lettered all cars. Still need to install windows and a few other details but am pleased with the set and small cost. ScaleRail/Don
Building Engineering Event Machine Landscape
Train Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rolling Wheel
Train Wheel Rolling stock Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
I've been working on my new layout and building a three set wrecking crane train. I've learned a lot of new skills doing this. From cutting plastic to learning how to fill gaps. First I bought a used MTH premier crane car, then a old MTH 70 ft. combo car and last, a Lionel all metal tank car from the late 40's. I cut the combo car body in half and added the extra end back on a much smaller body. This is the crane tender. Crew quarters and LED lighting were added inside. I installed wood decking for the crane arm. Painted the set a flat black and lettered all cars. Still need to install windows and a few other details but am pleased with the set and small cost. ScaleRail/Don View attachment 593247 View attachment 593248 View attachment 593249 View attachment 593247 View attachment 593248 View attachment 593249 View attachment 593247 View attachment 593248 View attachment 593249
Great looking wreck train, Don. I like the markings on the crane. Just right. Wreckers were always a side interest of mine.

The boom car is definitely unique. Is that a prototypical design or a freelance design? Either way, it definitely looks like something a railroad would create. Very nice.

Amazing how many passenger cars, especially Pullman cars, ended up in work train service.

Tom

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I've been working on my new layout and building a three set wrecking crane train. I've learned a lot of new skills doing this. From cutting plastic to learning how to fill gaps. First I bought a used MTH premier crane car, then a old MTH 70 ft. combo car and last, a Lionel all metal tank car from the late 40's. I cut the combo car body in half and added the extra end back on a much smaller body. This is the crane tender. Crew quarters and LED lighting were added inside. I installed wood decking for the crane arm. Painted the set a flat black and lettered all cars. Still need to install windows and a few other details but am pleased with the set and small cost. ScaleRail/Don View attachment 593247 View attachment 593248 View attachment 593249 View attachment 593247 View attachment 593248 View attachment 593249 View attachment 593247 View attachment 593248 View attachment 593249
Terrific modeling for the work train.

6201 - 6220 of 6227 Posts