Model Train Forum banner
6261 - 6280 of 6312 Posts

· Registered
5,958 Posts
A couple of Christmas presents that I picked up at Henning’s Trains last month and handed to my wife to give to me on Sunday. The 33000 gallon tanker is Atlas Master. When I opened it up, I thought it looked too long for my layout, but it’s the same length as a premier passenger car so it should be fine. The Schlitz tanker is Atlas Premier. Although the price is 35% more than what MTH asked a few years ago, it grabbed my eye so I went for it. I’m thinking that Atlas will recoup what they spent for MTH tooling in no time.
Train Rolling stock Electricity Railway Mode of transport

Wheel Train Vehicle Plant freight car

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
I picked up a Lionel 2-6-0 with the idea of back dating the model to a early 1900’s look. It was going to need more work than I planned, so I will leave it and improve it as it sits.

Part of the project was researching as to which prototype Lionel based their model upon. It turns out, it is a Boston and Maine B-15 series engine. Built around 1905, they worked in commuter service around Boston, Massachusetts up into the early 1950’s.

Here is the engine I bought…

Train Wheel Product Black Rolling stock

It will look something like this after it is relettered and some B&M details and piping...

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Track

Tom

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Tom wrote:
"Lionel based their model upon. It turns out, it is a Boston and Maine B-15 series engine"

If you ever get up to the Danbury Railway Museum, they have this (not sure if it's the same, but very similar):
View attachment 595969

View attachment 595970
Yes! Definitly the same engine. I forgotten they had one…

I was up there a few years ago, when my son played in a hockey tournament in Danbury. I did a brisk walk around the equipment and then met up with an older fellow who was in charge of the FL9 they were restoring. He took me all through the engine, showing me the third rail gear and the related relays and electronics. We were in the cab and he was showing me the brake stand. It was a 24RL Brake and independent. They had no handles for the brake valves.

I departed and when I returned home, I packed up two train brake handles, two independents handles and a few EMD reversers I had in my garage. We returned the next weekend for another tournament and I dropped the handles off at the front desk. The fellow I had met and I spoke with originally, wasn’t there that day. Later, He sent me a letter thanking me for the handles and they felt the engine was now complete!

About six months later, he passed away before I ever returned to Danbury. He was a long retired New Haven Engineer.

Tom

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
J Albert, it is the same class engine. There are minor differences in some of the details, but it is the right one.

Tonight, I did some number and lettering removal. I added some minor details and touched up some of the black paint. Next step will be decaling and weathering….

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine

Tom

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Tom wrote:
"I did a brisk walk around the equipment and then met up with an older fellow who was in charge of the FL9 they were restoring."
"The fellow I had met and I spoke with originally, wasn’t there that day. Later, He sent me a letter thanking me for the handles and they felt the engine was now complete!
About six months later, he passed away before I ever returned to Danbury. He was a long retired New Haven Engineer."

I'll reckon that it was Pete McLachlan that you spoke to. He hired out into engine service back around 1959, and when I was a brand-new fireman in 1979, he was one of the first engineers I worked with.

See this post:

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Tom wrote:
"I did a brisk walk around the equipment and then met up with an older fellow who was in charge of the FL9 they were restoring."
"The fellow I had met and I spoke with originally, wasn’t there that day. Later, He sent me a letter thanking me for the handles and they felt the engine was now complete!
About six months later, he passed away before I ever returned to Danbury. He was a long retired New Haven Engineer."

I'll reckon that it was Pete McLachlan that you spoke to. He hired out into engine service back around 1959, and when I was a brand-new fireman in 1979, he was one of the first engineers I worked with.

See this post:
Thanks for the link. I read about his passing on the DRM Facebook page. He told me a story about running some FL9s on a extra move over some line and the third rail shoes were all damaged somehow. He was certainly a nice guy.

Tom

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Thanks Pete. I used Tichy decals. They sell a set for B&M steam. The logo on the tender is actually from a 1/32 scale set of B&M boxcar decals made by K4. The tender logo in the Tichy set didn’t set properly, so I removed it and used the K4 decal instead…

Tom

· Admin
48,527 Posts
Added some modern motive power, a couple of Heritage diesels have been added to the mix. I couldn't resist the deal! I traded some maintenance work for them. I had to replace the ditch light LED's on one of them, that was certainly a PITA, but other than that, they run great.

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Track Locomotive

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Railway Track

· Registered
5,958 Posts
Ready Made Trains pre-order from February 2022 finally showed up today. Strasburg Tank Car. Trainworld exclusive. First time I have done a pre-order. Apart from ho long it took - I am really happy with it!
I'm tempted since I like the Strasburg. I just got the email from RMT a few days ago. As well as one from Pat's. Interesting that RMT is now selling only through dealers. They used to sell direct. Also interesting that Pat's has it listed for $28 and Trainworld has it for $40. I suspect that's a typo since they have the Waddel for $30.

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
This one is partly new. I got the shell at the MTH parts booth at York for $20. I drilled the mounting holes to 7/64" before I mounted it to the Suzie-Q chassis. The chassis shows the Suzie-Q road number, but my other option was to put it on a Reading chassis. The green chassis would not have gone well with the EL shell.
View attachment 596496
The Erie made a practice of putting road numbers on the end frames, as did the NYS&W as they were an Erie subsidiary at one time. I don’t think the idea was continued on the EL. Maybe a little paint can “fix” your situation!😉

Tom

6261 - 6280 of 6312 Posts