Model Train Forum banner
6281 - 6300 of 6312 Posts

· Registered
5,958 Posts
The Erie made a practice of putting road numbers on the end frames, as did the NYS&W as they were an Erie subsidiary at one time. I don’t think the idea was continued on the EL. Maybe a little paint can “fix” your situation!😉

Tom
I didn’t even notice the Suzie-Q number until I looked at the photo. I’ll probably just leave it. If I do anything, I’ll cover it with electrical tape and remove the tape when it goes back to Susquehanna service.

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
I didn’t even notice the Suzie-Q number until I looked at the photo. I’ll probably just leave it. If I do anything, I’ll cover it with electrical tape and remove the tape when it goes back to Susquehanna service.
Okay, I see. It isn’t that noticeable so I wouldn’t worry about it…

Tom

· Registered
4,342 Posts
Picked up a few of the new RMT tank cars. The Flying A caught my eye as this was the closest gas station to us growing up, otherwise I may not have even ordered any. Very pleased with the quality of these cars. I actually have two of each pictured here. The come with an easily removed platform but I prefer then without the platform which I associate with chemical tank cars.

Train Window Building Rolling stock Mode of transport

Pete

· Registered
31 Posts
A couple of Christmas presents that I picked up at Henning’s Trains last month and handed to my wife to give to me on Sunday. The 33000 gallon tanker is Atlas Master. When I opened it up, I thought it looked too long for my layout, but it’s the same length as a premier passenger car so it should be fine. The Schlitz tanker is Atlas Premier. Although the price is 35% more than what MTH asked a few years ago, it grabbed my eye so I went for it. I’m thinking that Atlas will recoup what they spent for MTH tooling in no time.
View attachment 595527
View attachment 595528
The Beer car was originally invented by Walthers during WW 2. They didn't have much metal to make cars so they came up with beer can cars. You supplied the can. They later re-relased then in the 60's or 70's. I still have one. Don

· Registered
O Scale MTH and Lionel 1952 set and newer
128 Posts
I'm tempted since I like the Strasburg. I just got the email from RMT a few days ago. As well as one from Pat's. Interesting that RMT is now selling only through dealers. They used to sell direct. Also interesting that Pat's has it listed for $28 and Trainworld has it for $40. I suspect that's a typo since they have the Waddel for $30.
I paid $28.99 for it from Trainworld. Plus tax, shipping it was in the $40's total. I think this is pretty darn good all told.

· Registered
31 Posts
Picked up a few of the new RMT tank cars. The Flying A caught my eye as this was the closest gas station to us growing up, otherwise I may not have even ordered any. Very pleased with the quality of these cars. I actually have two of each pictured here. The come with an easily removed platform but I prefer then without the platform which I associate with chemical tank cars.

View attachment 596712

Pete
As a very young kid in the late 40's I remember my Dad driving us to Signal Hill outside of Los Angeles and seeing endless long strings of single dome black tank cars. Seeing hundreds of oil well towers and open pools of oil. Also the smell of raw oil. Some of the trains were pulled into the city by Pacific Electric Westinghouse freight engines. Don
Plant Photograph Sky White Black
Train Building Vehicle Rolling Rolling stock

Water Sky Photograph Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
3,643 Posts
As a very young kid in the late 40's I remember my Dad driving us to Signal Hill outside of Los Angeles and seeing endless long strings of single dome black tank cars. Seeing hundreds of oil well towers and open pools of oil. Also the smell of raw oil. Some of the trains were pulled into the city by Pacific Electric Westinghouse freight engines. Don View attachment 596761 View attachment 596763
View attachment 596762
I kitbashed a similar tank car for Cornplanter Refining, out in western Pennsylvania, around the turn of the century…

Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Rolling stock

Tom

· Registered
45 Posts
I haven’t received it yet, but the mrs ordered a NS excursion 2 pack (21 inch) for our passenger consist. When it arrives, I’ll post pics. She completely surprised me with this out of the blue.

· Registered
5,454 Posts
You may want to bookmark Tandem Associates Lionel post war identification guide. The link goes straight to steam locomotives. Scroll to the bottom and you will see links to other categories (diesel locos, rolling stock, track, transformers, etc) as well as a master numerical index. The Link to you caboose.

Tandem Assc.'s gives a few paragraphs of the features, production years and history for each item as well as variations during the production run.

· Registered
34 Posts
Looks like there is a shadow of a figure in your window at the rear. That would look neat when the the light is on.
What type of glue do use? I've never had any luck with super glues and plastic ( even though some said they would work with plastics).

Thanks.

6281 - 6300 of 6312 Posts