Model Train Forum banner
81 - 100 of 6157 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
First step is to replace the battery. That may do the trick. If not, drop me a line, you can ship me the boards and I can do a reset on them with my reset kit. Worst case is you need a top board, still fairly cheap.

Just to confirm, it starts up and gives you the two dings, and then won't do anything, is that the situation?
John,
Yes I was planning on replacing the battery when I made the deal. Yes, two dings and then it sits there. The lights come on and both headlights blink. Thanks for the offer about resetting the boards. I will let you know.

·
Admin
47,884 Posts
I just had one with two dings and no motion. Putting a new battery in was all it required. It had the old white battery, which was long past it's usable life. That may be all yours requires.

FWIW, a general tip with PS/1 is to check the batteries after a long storage time before you ever power them up. The older sound chips have a tendency to scramble the memory and require the reset.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
John,
Lets hope that is the case with this one, but if not when I decided to buy it I was prepared to even replace a board if need be.

I just saw the PS3 version at a local hardware store/train store this morning; Great Northern A-B-A for $699, list price $799. While I realize it has PS3, and mine is PS1, I don't think it looks any nicer than mine. In fact, I like the color scheme better on the one I have. :)

·
Admin
47,884 Posts
Well, no chance of upgrading to Legacy, unless you cannibalize a Legacy locomotive. There are no Legacy upgrade parts available. You can buy some of the boards, but specifically the sound stuff is tightly controlled.

You can, of course, upgrade it to TMCC or PS2 ( PS3 now, no more PS2 kits ).

·
Admin
47,884 Posts
You can't really keep the sound from PS/1. There was a board in the way back history called the Equalizer that did that, but DD went out of business. TAS also had a product that melded the two, but they're also out of business.

The only game in town nowadays for TMCC upgrades is The Electric Railroad (ERR). They have a limited number of sound boards with canned sounds. You can listen to the sounds if you visit the site, click on the Purchase link, and then the RailSounds products link. There is a link to the sound clips for each audio board.

·
Admin
47,884 Posts
Sounds like F3 F7 is the closest sound. TMCC & that sound? Will you do it?
I can certainly do it, it'll be most likely after Christmas at this point. I'm soon going "under the knife" for cataract surgery in early November, and I suspect for a spell my vision will be suspect, they do the second eye a month later. I'm thinking I may have trouble doing fine bench until it's all done and I get my final set of glasses for close work. I don't want to make commitments I can't meet.

·
Admin
47,884 Posts
I picked up my first LC+ locomotive, the Camelback. It's actually a nice little locomotive, and one of the first that was actually scale sized. The sound isn't up to Legacy quality, they appear not to have multiple channel sound for the LC+ stuff, but it's certainly not bad.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
John,
Good luck with your cataract surgery. I had mine done last year. Amazing what they can do now. They installed lenses that corrected my astigmatism and I was able to take the patch off after one day. I now only need glasses for reading after 38 years of wearing glasses all the time. I hope your surgery goes as well as mine did.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Some of the older Premier PS/1 locomotives were really nicely done. I have a Reading A-B-A F3 set that looks as good as any of the new stuff I see. I'll be upgrading those to command at some point...
Don't ever say you have seen it all, a wise man once said.
The guy I bought the Premier F3 A-B-A set from, said he took it off the shelf after 8 years. It wouldn't run, so he put a new battery in and couldn't get it to run. So he offered it at a really nice price. While waiting for my BCR to arrive in the mail, I took the shell off to try a different battery. Guess what's? He never told me he took the battery out again to ship it, and there wasn't a battery in the box. So I plugged a battery in and within a minute, I had the F3 cruising around the outer loop!! Works for me!! I'm leaving the shell off until I get the BCR, a couple of the standoffs broke off when I took the screws off the B unit. That's what I get for looking to see if there was anything inside.

81 - 100 of 6157 Posts