Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just finished my very first fixer-up-er. A 283 I bought on Ebay for $30 not running. Ended up just needing a pair of fingers and a new smoke wick, and of course a good cleaning and lube job. Took me 1 1/2 hrs. to do the smoke wick, hand tremers were bad yesterday. It smokes like crazy, used JT's uncented fluid. By the way does it set off the smoke alarms in the house? This is my first steamer. Have a 322 coming, a 312 getting repaired by Flyernut, and a 342AC in negotiations. Will post pics of them all eventually
Train Rolling stock Mode of transport Rolling Railway

Train Wheel Vehicle Window Rolling stock

Wheel Train Vehicle Rolling stock Track

Train Vehicle Rolling Rolling stock Gas

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just got the 342ACIt runs both ways and a little smoke so have work to do. I hope this is a good unit. Missing the front hand rails on the loco, anyone have spares or a source for a pair. Here are the pics. Enjoy
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Railway

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Locomotive

Wheel Train Rolling stock Office equipment Rolling

Train Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Rolling

Train Wheel Rolling Gas Vehicle

·
Registered
97 Posts
I received the 314AW. I think it is really nice. It runs but needs a tune-up. Put oil in and it smokes. Don't know how the whistle unit works, or what extra's I have to buy, but will learn. Mainly interested in getting the engine running good for now. Overall, the paint and graphics are wonderful. Curious to what it would grade on the scale? 6 or 7? Owner said it sat for 40 yrs. but opened the tender and it has been rewired and the drum was like new. Lubed the loco and p
Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Rolling Wood Rolling stock

Wheel Rolling Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling Rolling stock

ut it on the test stand and it started out very slowly but gained speed in no time. Here are some picks. I NEVER SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT MY FIRST STEAMER. Now I have 8. Wife is starting to question me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you all. I will try to get better pics. No the whistle control box did not come with it. Does anyone have the number for it? Then I can search the internet for one. I think they might be expensive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I only have a 30B and a 4B transformer. Is there a way to jump the signal to see if it even works? I am not electrical savy. But I can do some stuff. The armature turns freely but I don't want to fry it if it's good and do the wrong thing. Just thought it would be cool to get it going. Saw a video online and it sounds neat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tom, THANK YOU for your knowledge and help. I really appreciate it. I didn't realize there were two different 314AW loco's. I see what you are talking about with the tender. I suppose that means I bought the one that is worth the least. It is a 4 pin connector with smoke in boiler. I am going to try and find a whistle control box. It really does sound like a train whistle when I manually closed the solenoid contact.
Richard

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great info, thanks so much. You and the others here have such great knowledge that took yrs. to accumulate. I appreciate it. Being 70 yrs. old with tremers it is hard to do work on the small areas. But I persevere. I so sincerely appreciate everyone's help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts