Model Train Forum banner

501 - 520 of 636 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That's in great shape, one of my favorite type passenger cars. They look especially good on smaller layouts. The die cast frame with the steps looks much better than the sheet metal ones without the steps.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
Got 2 new reefers in the mailbox today. Both brand new. One from 1993 and one from 1994.
The Nckel Plate car was 19.95 and the R
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG
ath was 22.95. 10.00 total for shipping. So not bad.

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #504
Fairly nice day to day near 60. Got the front yard mowed today. 2nd time.
So it is greening up. I am ready.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Very nice mopac. Out door pictures again! Finally fit for it there in Missouri it sounds like.
Not so much here in upper Illinois. Even though, like you, I have mowed twice already, and it has been as high as 70 and the 60's, 6-8 inches of snow predicted tonight and all day Friday. Got an inch in the early am hours yesterday but mostly gone by noon. This snow coming will be heavy wet snow since the temps will be 30-32. My Jeep will make it through. Best thing is the 40's Saturday, 50's Sunday so the snow will be gone quickly. Go figure.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #506
A week or so ago we hit 82. Last few days have been highs in 50s. And lows in mid 30s to 40.
70s day and night will be good. Soon I think.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 21831 headed the "New Sunshine Special" freight set (1958) and is single motor with two position reverse unit. At the time I purchased it I noticed a little glue around the number plates and assumed the shell was a replacement and renumbered by someone. The plates however, seemed to be original since the reproductions are a little more squared at the corners. When I removed the shell I discovered two date stamps. The first for March 57' and a later stamp for May 58'. I am guessing that when the 57' 377/378 series finished that there were a few left in stock and the shells were renumbered for the 58' chassis which may or may not be the case. Its probably not uncommon but is the first time I've run across a double date. Runs very well and only requires a light cleaning and touchup.
HPIM0099-2.JPG

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
A very nice engine. The two date stamps is most interesting. I suspect your explanation is correct.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Two weeks ago Des Plaines Hobbies sent out an email to all of us customers that for three days everything in the store was 25% off. They had a new in the box (NIB) Legacy Santa FE Y3. It was in the 2014 AF catalog. I had been watching it for almost a year. With the unknown Covid impacts on the future production of any new Legacy S gauge steam engines I decide to buy it for 25% off. I only had one Y3, a PRR and really like it.
The engine arrived this afternoon. After careful unpacking I put it on the layout for pictures. First I added 35 drops of smoke fluid, then programmed the engine into my Legacy base. After sitting for about 10 minutes to let the smoke fluid thoroughly wet the wick I fired it up. Worked perfect, immediate smoke at idle. Ran it once around the layout, that’s about 150’ then parked it, shut down and put 10 more drops of smoke fluid in. Prior to running it all the linkage and gears need lubed.
Here it is.

C3F642D7-2B0B-442F-82FD-5DA24CF2FFA0.jpeg
385B2BD9-122B-41C4-BEA1-2346041A61A7.jpeg
FC46CF0B-5A78-494E-813E-6DD2454B8331.jpeg
8F0B5A20-DCE8-4848-8505-D86C1C123349.jpeg

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #513 (Edited)
Nice engine Tom. I am pretty sure I have a N&W Y3B in HO.
They are some of the biggest locomotives. Just a couple of miles
from me The Transport Museum has a Y3B. I think the only one left.
Right now it is on loan to another museum. Should be coming back soon.
After thinking about it, my HO is a Y6B. Very similar.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The N&W created the Y3's for their specific demands. The Feds ordered them to sell some to other railroads because of war shortages. I assume the Y6b is similar in appearance. The Y3 is the best and last S gauge Legacy steam engine Lionel has made. Supposedly Lionel will make S gauge Legacy Berkshires, I have two on order. We will see if any are actually made. It sounds like you have a large HO collection with quite a bit of variety.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am trying to put together some of the catalog kits that included my newly restored #336. One of my favorite cars of all the kits is the #982 BAR Boxcar. Who doesn't like that color scheme? I have been watching eBay for a while and quickly got discouraged with what these cars go for. However, one night I was working late and got side tracked and starting surfing eBay. At 1am someone put up a #982 for "Buy Now"....no auction. With a quick look over of the pictures I knew I found the one. I ended up paying $39.85 and that included the shipping.

As soon as I got it I went to work on cleaning up the paint. I spent over an hour carefully scrubbing and meticulously picking away scratches. It turned out better than I ever could have thought....the pictures below are proof in the pudding.

Here are the eBay pictures....

Here are the aftermath of my cleanup....

On a side note. I want to share the beauty of micro brushes. These things are gentle and have multiple sizes to get in all those tiny S Scale crevices. I cleaned the entire car with these using Dawn dish detergent lightly diluted in water.

You can get them here on eBay: Click Here

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I think you outright stole that 982! Outstanding acquisition, like you say, who does not like that car.

501 - 520 of 636 Posts