Model Train Forum banner

521 - 540 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Very nice i love the 322 with the sit . goid luck. Staysafe.

Al
I am trying to put together some of the catalog kits that included my newly restored #336. One of my favorite cars of all the kits is the #982 BAR Boxcar. Who doesn't like that color scheme? I have been watching eBay for a while and quickly got discouraged with what these cars go for. However, one night I was working late and got side tracked and starting surfing eBay. At 1am someone put up a #982 for "Buy Now"....no auction. With a quick look over of the pictures I knew I found the one. I ended up paying $39.85 and that included the shipping.

As soon as I got it I went to work on cleaning up the paint. I spent over an hour carefully scrubbing and meticulously picking away scratches. It turned out better than I ever could have thought....the pictures below are proof in the pudding.

Here are the eBay pictures....

View attachment 541812
View attachment 541813

Here are the aftermath of my cleanup....

View attachment 541814
View attachment 541815

On a side note. I want to share the beauty of micro brushes. These things are gentle and have multiple sizes to get in all those tiny S Scale crevices. I cleaned the entire car with these using Dawn dish detergent lightly diluted in water.

You can get them here on eBay: Click Here

View attachment 541816
View attachment 541817
Nice buy looks great.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
That is a dandy. It really cleaned up nice. You could make some money on that one now. They do go for much money.
Great buy. Timing is everything.

I did order some of those magic brushes. I did not realize there are different head sizes. Oh well, I ordered
light purple. Comes from China. Virus free I hope. Takes awhile to get here. I got expected delivery Dec, 12.
Kidding about the date. July 17. Congrats on a great addition and info on the brushes.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
It got broke off with the cow catcher and rear coupler. Paper envelope shipping
and a rough ride. I have it. Very thin. I will super glue it and then use some JB Weld.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
flyernut, I am ok in it. Its a nice looking engine. I won it for 63.00, a good price. It got
damage in the mail because of poor packing. Seller refunded me 40.00. So that put
me in it at 23.00. A replacement pilot with cow catcher cost me 10.00. So now in it at
33.00. And only problem is a broken tender step and a broken link coupler. Everything
else is fine.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I forgot that too. But they must have made a special trip for me.
I got 2 packages. I have seen them deliver packages on sunday.
The other package is an O scale passenger car I ordered. My new
to me 282 came. I am ok with it. It was only 24.50 plus shipping.
In the pics it was all assembled, I got a box of pieces. LOL. Part
of the problem was the way it was packed. This guy could give a seminar on how NOT to pack a steam engine. First he starts with a flimsy shoe box. Then he wraps the loco with one sheet of newspaper and puts it in the shoe box and tapes the lid on. There
was about 3 or 4 inches of nothing between sides. Must have been a rough trip. A couple of pieces of plastic from screw holes was in there also. Front pilot assembly came off. So of coarse cross heads were loose. Front body mount screws were out. And
at first I could not find the coal pusher from tender. It was up
inside the boiler shell. One of the white wheel insulators is chipped and rim is loose from insulator. There was no white pieces of white plastic in there so maybe I missed it in the pics. I
usually look for that. And there was some screws loose in the box. Actually I think all the parts are there. Glad I bought some JB Weld. Cab numbers and tender graphics are nice. Boiler is nice.
Its cheap enough to be a parts engine but I think I will make it a runner. I like it. Its a project. The shoe box was the mailing box.

View attachment 367297

I don't think it was in pieces when the guy mailed it. He had a note in the box telling me he had taped the drawbar screw to top of tender.
It needs a bath.
Smoke tube is missing. I have some.
You probably shouldn't buy anything else from that same guy Mo-Pac. He sure doesn't seem to know how to pack a loco for shipping at all.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Nice grab if you dont want that 759 danger bell let me know. I sent mine to be recoiled but i cooked to good so portline hobby is looking for a base for me if he cant . i will have to buy another one keep it in mine. And it is christmas at your house. Have fun.
Al

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
The 20475 set is 1958. The Santa Fe set based on the visible engine and passenger car details is most likely the 1957 20083 set.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alaft, I don't plan on keeping any of these trains or parts.. I have too much of my dads HO rolling stock in a display case, and don't have room for any more!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nice grab if you dont want that 759 danger bell let me know. I sent mine to be recoiled but i cooked to good so portline hobby is looking for a base for me if he cant . i will have to buy another one keep it in mine. And it is christmas at your house. Have fun.
Al

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could someone let me know if it would be better to sell these as 'sets' ? As in , everything they came with originally? I have 3 different sets here.. 2 American Flyer, and one Lionel. Including track for all, transformers, etc.. Not sure if people would be more interested in just the trains as is?

521 - 540 of 696 Posts