Model Train Forum banner

621 - 640 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Mopac, getting that very nice 922 for 27.00 plus shipping is a deal. I have one of the decal and painted stripes. Both are nice but I sure paid more than $27 and that was back several years ago. I also have 3 more that are so-so quality and ones like that have been well over $27 also on eBay when I have checked. I think you got a deal.
So you got to go to an actual train show?

Kenny

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have a lot of 622’s because I liked them and up until I got my permanent layout I ran link coupler equipment on all my Christmas layouts. The 622’s are all decal. The 922’s are all decals except for 1953 production. 622’s are a rarity of 3. The decal and the stamped 922’s are rarity 2. The stamped 922 is worth about 50% more than a decal version. Here is a repost of three of my 622’s that show the variation in Factory decal placement.

2FC27B5F-5F28-4C84-963F-A448EAA4AA72.jpeg

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #624
Kenny, the train show was some time last year. I learned a big lesson. Look at BOTH sides. LOL.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
Rain has stopped, not much sun, but grabbed a pic of the 922 I just got.
It does have a brake wheel. No rust.

IMG_0782.JPG

·
Registered
767 Posts
When i saw yours i was thinking. I think i have one i didnt buy this lot of the aft stuff was giving to me by my god farther when i was a kid. This is a photo of mine.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Looks good mopac. Nice lettering too. I had forgotten about the different angles in the application of the decal that Tom mentioned and shows. I have 5 total of that version and none are the same. My painted ones seem to be all the same angle.
Sharp looking 922 you have there too Al.

Kenny

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Greetings, I'm new here but wanted to add some pix from my shop.
Doc'

1951 Gulf S.E.P.X. A recent purchase. KC upgrade. Some TLC needed.

1947 Shell Type II Diecast with Type A slotted trucks. KC upgrade. Some TLC needed.

My reproduction of the 1946 Orange painted Shell. I just could not warp it.

A 1954 Celanese Chemical. A reproduction for sure. There were only about 24 prototypes made. I wish this was one of them.

A 1951 325AC Restoration with Ears.

A 1954 343 Switcher Restoration with some liberty's taken with the decals.

My current 1948 " The Royal Blue " project. This locomotive has the 4 position e-unit & weight relocated to the tender. A 322 Hudson chassis with Smoke and Choo-Choo and dual pull-mor drive wheels replaced the original XA10000 chassis. The loco casting has the stack location opened and the smoke unit had the fill and smoke outlet tube relocated to allow the smoke stack to protrude. A trailing truck XA10020 from a 312 was painted and added to the chassis. A new drawbar was added to the tender to connect to the new spreader bar mounted in the cab. Currently the project is waiting on a 352 decal set to reflect the original A.C. Gilbert numbering system for steamers with the smoke and choo-choo options.

Hope you enjoy.
Doc'

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Doug, welcome to the MTF, it is great to have another contributor to the S gauge forum. Nice pictures and there are more nice items in the background. The Royal Blue sounds like a lot of creative work to put the Hudson chassis under the Royal Blue shell. Many of us would just repaint a scratched up Silver Bullet blue to get the smoke and choo choo.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Tom, I wanted to work with the oldest and the rare items and advance them further. To me the 350 with the hand rails, although a little more costly back then, was the way to go. Being retired this is a good way to spend and share my time. I am also a history buff regarding American Flyer as far back as William Hafner and William Coleman Sr. And I'm always looking for reference books. Thanks for the kind words and if you see something for me to photograph and chat about please let me know. Oh, be warned.....I'm known to be gabby.
Best Regards
Doug

621 - 640 of 660 Posts