Model Train Forum banner

821 - 840 of 916 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Some Northerns had cabs stamped as 332DC and some as 334DC, these are uncommon. Most of the DC Northerns are just stamped 332. All you need is a cheap 5A bridge rectifier to put between the transformer and track. All of your engines will run with DC track power. If you want to be able to reverse the DC engine then a DPDT switch is also needed.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The other alternative is to buy a Dallee #400 electronic reverse unit for the DC engine. It will then run with AC track power and work just like the engines with universal motors and reverse units, but better.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You do not need to convert DC power to AC. There is nothing on your layout that will operate only on AC. Good thing, too. Converting DC to AC requires an inverter. Backup power supplies for outages for older computers had these included.
You merely need to supply DC from the AC track power to the permanent magnet motor and be able to flip the polarity to reverse the engine. That is what the Dallee #400 circuit board does.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #827 ·
Al, that crane car is a beauty. Nice find. A train show would be great to attend.
Nice stuff you got.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Is there a certain denalie 400 to get and is it hard to do iam nervise because iam not great with electronics. 332

Al

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If you want to see the Dallee 400 go to the Port Lines website. On the list on the left hand side of the screen select Electronics and Overview. With the DC motor there are only four connections. The power input is the wires from the two tender trucks, the output is the two wires that go to the engine. It mounts in the tender.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #835 ·
I love my 282s. They run real good. With the plastic shell, mine spin the wheels easily. I have added some weight
but not enough yet. I got a nice 290 in the mail today. I will try to get some pics tomorrow. Seller says it does not run. All parts seem to be there.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #837 · (Edited)
Here is my new to me 290. Pretty much happy with it.
Nice paint, cab numbers, and tender lettering.
Seller graded it a C-7. As usual it is over graded.
It needs a few repairs. The link coupler got broken in
the trip here. Time to learn how to fix these. Need to
buy the tools. The front tender truck is loose. Another
repair I need to learn. LOL, more tools. I have a 283 with
a loose tender truck. This 290 makes 4 I own. Only one runs.
but nothing serious with the other 3. The new 290 was 47.11
plus shipping. A good price. I noticed something. The 290
and the 295 do not have a railroad symbol on the tender.

IMG_0878.JPG

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Correct, the 290 and 295 just have American Flyer on the tender. How did you get along so far without the link coupler tools, mine have had a lot of use over the years.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Al great looking 906 plus box and it is new! Good buy. I have 2 of those but neither look that good.

Kenny

821 - 840 of 916 Posts