Model Train Forum banner
961 - 980 of 996 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Thanks Mopac. I am undecided about which cars to run. I know I won't run the Angel Trotter or the American Flyer Catalog cars, and probably not the NYC hopper since it is part of a series.
I just realized I am missing some cars that I thought I posted. Gotta check. There are a lot of pictures that I posted that aren't here. The worst part is now I have to retake a bunch of pictures over again since I deleted them from the folder as I posted them. I was having computer issues that night so I suppose they ended up in computer never never land.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
It is true I feel it is hard to have too many REA cars. That and the Susie-Q car are my favorites. I have the ATT cars and do not run those because I have the matching prints hand signed by Angela and dedicated to my wife and I. The orange Shell tank car is one of only two cars that Lionel released with the original Gilbert number on it.
These pictures turned out perfect.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Thanks Al. Sorry for the slow response. I had no computer for 3 days. The bad luck from June, July, August has followed me into Sept.!! Finally got fed up with Geek Squad idiots and bought a new one. I didn't really want to. Setting up this new one has been a challenge to my sanity. My old one is 10 years old. As the guy at Best Buy said it is light years behind this new one. I don't remember that one being this hard to configure and set up. Some of you guys on here might know this but I was told that Windows 11 is coming in December. Be ready. Computers like my 10 year old one won't handle Win 11. It could be up dated to 11 but run very slow.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I hear you i bought my new one 7 years ago it had windows 7 new one is 10 what i was told from people who know alot more and way more about computers 10 is a pain know 11 is coming i think i will go back to morse code or the library.lol

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #968 ·
My laptop is about 7 years old. Maybe a little less. It came with Windows 9 and I updated it to Windows 10. I have
enjoyed it and not many problems. Like Kenny I do not want to buy another. And have to put all my stuff on a new one.
Hoping this one lasts a little longer.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I have both a Dell Latitude running Windows 10 and an Apple running the latest version of Big Sur. I use the Dell exclusively unless I am working with pictures and slide shows. Those are easier on the Apple and I can put the results on the large TV for group viewing using the Apple TV. The Apple does most everything except run layout planning software, which I do not do. The new computers pretty much set themselves up. You just need to specify several pages of preferences. I find my computers last seemingly forever but at some point new software requirements will make them obsolete.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #970 ·
My laptop is a dell. I do not remember the name. Its a cheapie, but has worked good for me. Its my first laptop. I have had
a few dell desk tops. I prefer my desk tops because of screen size. The lap top has its convinces.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #972 ·
I have never had a 46 inch. Mine are maybe 32 inch. But that is big compared to a cell phone or a laptop screen. My son uses his phone for everything. He pays his bills on the phone. I like a
bigger screen. I bought him a laptop last Christmas, still sealed in its box. I got him wifi, still sealed. My phone works better on wifi here at the house.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The computer I ended buying is another HP with a 23'' screen simply because the old one lasted 10 years and if I want to get it fixed it would still work. Since it has a hard drive, I was told it was most of the trouble. This and all new HP computers do not have hard drives. Nothing but electronics. My old one just won't be good enough to run Windows 11. I was told it would accept Win 11 but run very slowly. It was already getting too slow but I am never in a hurry unless it involves business where I am conversing with another person and need to switch screens and may have more that one window open at once. Opening a new window was sometimes slow.

Tom you mentioned having a 46'' TV as your monitor. After I replaced my 48'' TV with a 55" because it was crazy cheap 2 years ago at one of those black Friday events, (no I didn't go to the actual Black Friday event), I toyed with the idea with using the 48'' TV as a monitor but I would have had to buy a different type of computer with a tower to be able to use the TV. I like the all in ones that HP has so I scraped the idea. I moved the 48" to the basement in the train room side to replace an RCA 28", that I have no idea how old it is, still works but not as sharp a picture as the 48" Samsung. I forgot how heavy that 28'' TV was. Good grief!!
Tom this HP computer I bought hardly set it self up. My old one was way easier to set up. This one not so much. I need to transfer information from the old one. The old one has 4 USB ports. This new one has no USB ports. Several HDMI ports though. As I related concerning the transfer of pictures from phone or my camera, to this computer, I don't have any way to hook up a USB port style cable to the HDMI ports. I need to get to the site you mentioned. Right now my focus is getting this computer and printer to like each other so I can complete 2 contracts I have tied up in my email and get sent. I just got the printer and fax be compatible. I had to call in the Best Buy Geek Squad. I really don't like using them. I just want to get all this stuff done so I can get back to trains!

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My 46" monitor is an LED type, very thin and light. As you say they are surprisingly inexpensive.
I am sure there is a USB-C input somewhere on that computer. On most new computers the power supply connects to a USB-C input, not the old style round power jack. It is the modern replacement for the old USB ports. I bought a set of three cables with USB on one end and USB-C on the other. I use them to connect my new iPad with USB-C to my computer which still has the older style USB. In your case a gender changer is also needed to plug in the old USB sticks. The wire end is male and the USB is male so you will need a female/female connector. All this stuff is at the monoprice.com site.
Fortunately my wife's computer is six months newer than mine and has USB-C inputs so the standard USB-C cables work for her. In any event, like you said, time spent configuring the computer is time not spent on trains.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Tom I have been on that monoprice,com site and I have to say a very good site. Yes I do have one USBC-C power port but that's the only one. What I meant was there are no extra ones, either old style or this new style USB-C. What I have got is 4 HDMI ports of one size, 2 of another size, (bigger), and one small one. I think I found the correct cable to transfer from old to new cable but not my phone to computer. I'll call them in the morning.

Kenny

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #976 · (Edited)
My camera uses SD card to store pics. My laptop has a place to plug in a SD card. Makes it easy to get pics in the computer. My camera will also do video but someday I want to buy a video camera. And maybe get back to real trains.
I have a video camera I used to use for trains. But it is old and uses VHS tape. It is large and looks like the local TV news is on the scene. A decent video camera is relatively cheap these days. There is a guy (I think his name is DJ Trains) on the forum here that has an expensive drone and does beautiful videos of trains. If you haven't, watch some of his videos. I have a
little drone with video camera but it is not stable enough for good video.

Kenny does your new laptop have a place to plug in a SD card? Or do people not use SD cards anymore. I have no idea.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Most new computers will not have an SD card slot. I have an adapter that accepts any size SD card then plugs into the USB port. Apple takes the crown for being the most stingy with connections. My Mac Air, which I rarely use, has only two USB-C ports, nothing else. I bought a dock for it, the dock has multiples of most types of ports.
There are too many video cameras to choose from. I would recommend one of the cameras that the VLOGer's use. For my purposes the iPhone is more than adequate.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Looks like the only item missing is one number board, they are easy to get. Even the tender truck pickup shoes appear to be there. I would put a new reproduction wiring harness in it. The rest is just overhaul and cleanup.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yup couple rails on tender too no biggie he had another one wire was direct but the tender wad rough had alot of carosen build up i think that the word iam looking for really rough on one side. Paid 150.

961 - 980 of 996 Posts