Model Train Forum banner
981 - 996 of 996 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
There is a nice article on myflyertrains.net documenting the construction of this WM/Riss TOFC. I recommend the S gaugers here take a look at the article if you have not yet seen it. I would have struggled with the decision of what number to use on the car. Since it is S gauge I would be tempted to change the "33" to "24" making it a one of one 24509. The number 24509 was not used by Gilbert so it is available.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #986 · (Edited)
Tom, I will look at the article. Right now I have no idea of what you are talking about.

Al, you should have a nice circus train. I know you have the engine, a couple flats,
a caboose, and maybe more. We need pics of your complete train.

My K-line MoPac Merchandise car not due here till Wed. That gives me a couple days to find the Gilbert MoPac car. I already know the Gilbert car looks best. I forget the company that did
them but I have 14 HO MoPac Merchandise cars all with a different road number. They are beautiful. I had to give that kind of thing up to go S scale. Not many different road numbers.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Sorry, I did not mean to cause any confusion. The TOFC car in post 983 above is documented on the website myflyertrains.net.
The rest of my comments were about use of the Gilbert 5-digit numbering system. In the 5 digit number system the first digit of "3" means HO, a first digit of "2" means S gauge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a nice article on myflyertrains.net documenting the construction of this WM/Riss TOFC. I recommend the S gaugers here take a look at the article if you have not yet seen it. I would have struggled with the decision of what number to use on the car. Since it is S gauge I would be tempted to change the "33" to "24" making it a one of one 24509. The number 24509 was not used by Gilbert so it is available.
Tom, I was tempted to use a number more aligned with the AF S-gauge line (and your suggestion of 24509 is a good one), but the trailer is printed with the same 33509 number used on the HO-scale car.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
True, the trailer carries 33509. However even Gilbert cheated on this detail. The 33557 Piggyback Unloader version of the WM flatcar carries the 33509 Riss trailer.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Al, the Circus train is looking good. Here is hoping that one day you will find a fantastic bargain on the mounts and the wagons. You have done well so far. The mounts could be made from some wood plus metal pins that fit the holes in the flat cars.

Road surface Asphalt Wood Rolling Rolling stock

981 - 996 of 996 Posts