Model Train Forum banner
1081 - 1096 of 1096 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Picked up this 302AC the other day on ebay, no one bid on it, and I got it for $25 bucks. The only reason I bid on it was the very nice SIT unit for a 312.. It's complete, and wants to run, and it has the very early link coupler with no weight. I guess
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper
no one wanted it because it didn't have the correct tender,lol.....
Wheel Train Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rolling

·
Registered
105 Posts
Picked up this 302AC the other day on ebay, no one bid on it, and I got it for $25 bucks. The only reason I bid on it was the very nice SIT unit for a 312.. It's complete, and wants to run, and it has the very early link coupler with no weight. I guess View attachment 575086 no one wanted it because it didn't have the correct tender,lol..... View attachment 575085
Nice catch! I haven't yet encountered an SIT engine, but look forward to playing with one in the future!

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,086 ·
Tom, I was going to say the same thing. About the tender value and leaving SITs to others to enjoy.
do not have a single SIT. I am ok with that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't understand why they would have used SIT at all unless there just wasn't room under the boiler shell, which seems hard to believe. The in boiler units seem to function well and I find the design quite elegant. That said, I like to see what ideas have been tried and look for their merits and faults. SIT seems complex and unnecessary, but I think would still be fun to look at from an engineering perspective.
Cheers!
TimmyD

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I do not own any SIT engines, but I do own a lot of engines with fan driven smoke. They have their own maintenance needs.
The 1946 and 1947 engines used a tender mounted bellows unit driven by a small motor to make the smoke and choo choo. That was the design that was patented and developed in 1944 and 1945. It required minimal changes to the engine. It was also expensive because of the second motor, it can make prodigious amounts of smoke while the engine is stopped but the sound is not synchronized with the valve gear.
Gilbert increased their product R&D as engineers were released from the war support contracts. This allowed further development and cost reductions in the train line including the engine mounted smoke and choo choo system in 1948.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks I get lucky once in awhile I didn't show a picture of the 374 diesel dummy car for free looking for the 375 I missed out on a couple action got bid out keep on looking big train show coming up end of month I do have a 343 nickel plate paid 200. But worth it.
Good luck on finding yours. Al

1081 - 1096 of 1096 Posts