Model Train Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1321 Posts

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
When I purchased the MP set, I was unaware that AmFlyer had made one. As I like the color blue it was the set I bought.
Now an original is on my wish list.
I had an original MP set made in 1963-64, a PA1 engine, and 3 passenger cars. Long gone now, Dad sold off all my trains years ago...

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Re crappy Lionel passenger sets - I bought a MP passenger set made by Lionel in mid to late 90's. I have not any issues with at all. I do understand that the early Lionel sets were crappy. I must have been lucky.
I have both MP and NP sets re-issued in the early 90's or so, un-run.. I did run them through a couple of loops both forward and backward, and they run flawlessly.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,207 · (Edited)
No doubt the can motor engines run better (the later sets). My Southern Pacific set was an early set. With the bad motors. The SP set is good looking and I wanted to run it. So I bought this to put my SP engine shells on. Plus I can use the UP passenger cars. Win Win in my books. I think my SP set is from 1981. Maybe the first set issued. The good (well better) sets were produced late 80s and the 90s.

The cars from all the sets are poor rollers. The cause is a much too stiff copper pick up strip rubbing the axles. Bending the strip down away from the axles enables a great rolling car. But no lighting in the cars. I am going to work on that. When and if I run any of my sets I will not have lighting till I get a fix on the pickup strip. I have an idea but have not tried it yet. Lionel
should have seen how poorly the cars rolled.

The can motors are probably not that great. Just because I saw a Lionel price list and they are only 6.00 each.
That was before all this inflation.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Mopac, there are two ways to improve (reduce) the rolling resistance of the passenger cars and still have lights. Depends on how much time it is worth. For my seven car set of PRR's I just put a small bit of conductive lube on the brass contact points and live with the results, maybe a 20% reduction in rolling resistance. Any of my Legacy and FlyerChief engines pull the set as well as the AM E8 and the AM PA/PA scale set w/o traction tires. That includes climbing a 2.5% grade.
The contact pressure can be reduced by removing the contact strips and carefully bending them back to reduce the pressure in the axles. Also use some conductive lube. This can reduce the rolling resistance by half or more depending on how carefully the brass strips are bent. This change can be undone.
The contact ends of the brass strips can be filed down to create a much smaller contact area, close to the wire design used by AM. This can cut the rolling resistance the most but the trucks are limited by the blunt end axles rather than needle point axles used by AM. Sounds like too much work for me, I just use more power on the head end to pull them.
Here are pictures of what we are discussing for those who do not own the sets. The four brass contacts are Lionel, the wire is AM.

Rolling Rectangle Vehicle Gas Font
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,209 · (Edited)
I received my Pony Express set today. All looks nice and new. Seller bought a huge S scale collection, this was one of many Flyer-Lionel sets he was selling. Seller described my set as used but did not look like it was ever removed from box. The cellophane wrapping has been removed. I think the previous owner had removed it to see his new train. He also had a ton of S Helper cars but all went for more than I wanted to pay. There was many cars I would have liked. Too expensive for me. Many of the cars went for 100.00 and more. I think this set will do what I wanted. I guess I will have to pick up a UP baggage car. I hope my SP shells will be happy.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Thanks. One of the reasons I posted the end flap picture is to show Lionel was never able to correct the artwork. The printing of the features shows an R-27 minimum curve but Lionel and all of us know it is really 20" minimum.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I put 25 drops of smoke fluid in the Santa Fe Pacific, set it on the track, set the engine ID to 15 (engine # is 3415), and ran it over a Sensor Track to enter all its programming into the Legacy Base. It has a great sounding whistle and all the other sounds are clear and distinct. The smoke at idle is nice and underway it is voluminous with good lift, about the same as the Legacy Berkshire. So far a very impressive little steam engine. Lionel did a great thing for all us S gauge operators by releasing these older TMCC engines updated to Legacy. More pictures later.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
More pictures and some comments. There have been a lot of negative comments about the projection of the electrocoupler from the back of the tender. The picture of the three tenders on the roundhouse tracks illustrates. On the left is the Legacy Berkshire tender. The best, closest coupling electrocoupler Lionel has released in S gauge. There is a lot of room to make this possible. Center is the new Legacy Pacific and on the right is a 2006 TMCC Pacific with a manual coupler. The new Legacy coupler is 1/4" longer than the old TMCC manual coupler and 1/2" longer than the new Legacy Berkshire coupler.
The problem is the lack of space. the picture of the underside of the TMCC, top, and the Legacy, bottom, shows this. Lionel reused the old coupler arm for the electrocoupler. Had they designed a new mounting arm the coupler distance could be shortened not more than 3/16", it would still stick out too much.
Comparing the old TMCC tender to the new Legacy several changes are visible. First the safety chains from the truck sideframe ends to the chassis were eliminated on the new Legacy tender. The Legacy has a larger speaker for better sound. The IR transmitter for communication with Sensor Tracks is visible behind the front truck.

Gas Motor vehicle Cylinder Machine Font
White Automotive tire Light Tread Rectangle
Train Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Nature
Train Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car
Train Rolling stock Plant Vehicle Nature

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
One more thing I neglected to mention. Lionel did not include the smoke pipette, that’s ok, I have about 15 of them. They included this really nice hex driver tool to remove the drive rod when replacing traction tires. Note it is magnetic as well.

Asphalt Wood Sports equipment Road surface Grass

1201 - 1220 of 1321 Posts