Model Train Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1321 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Tom that is a great looking Legacy Pacific 3415. love the smoke volume. I see what you mean regarding the coupler arm length on the tender comparison. Big difference for sure. The 1068 on the right looks the best to me. I am surprised the Legacy Berkshire on the left looks like it would be a problem on anything but broad curves like you have although I do like the close length.

Kenny

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Kenny, appearances can be deceiving. The Legacy Berkshire will run just fine on 20"R track with any car of your choice coupled to the tender. The new Lionel smoke units in the S gauge Legacy engines now work better than the MTH smoke units. My TMCC engines and the AM Northerns all have MTH smoke units retrofitted. The volume of smoke is about the same but the "lift" on the new Lionel units is higher and the smoke column looks better when running along the track. This is a good thing, I prefer a lot of smoke with that original Gilbert scent. Even the latest releases of the Legacy diesels have superb smoke output.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Here is the GN engine. When I saw the catalog illustration I was concerned about the green color. In person it looks fantastic. If the green is not the original GN green, it should have been. The first two pictures are smoke at idle, the remainder are underway at about speed step 5 out of 200.

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Track Steam engine
Train Vehicle Wheel Rolling stock Railway
Train Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Steam engine
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle Track
Train Motor vehicle Rolling stock Track Vehicle

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Here is the NYC Pacific. These are very nice engines, no quality issues with any of the three I purchased. At $629.99 they are more expensive than the bargain of the decade Legacy Berkshires but still a great engine at yesterday's pricing. Consider that the reissue of the Legacy Y3 in the 2022 catalog is $1619.99, that is $990 more than these Pacifics. The days of cheap Lionel AF engines are behind us. The last picture is smoke at idle.

Train Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Light
Train Plant Vehicle Locomotive Rolling stock
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle
Train Plant Vehicle Rolling stock Nature
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Plant Track

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,230 ·
Looks like they are great smokers. They all look fantastic. Love the GN green. The FlyerChiefs are nice.
The legacy engines are nicer. Classification lights. Engineer and fireman. And more. And you say they have better sounds. Congrats.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
These Pacifics are only available as Legacy engines. They do run great in conventional with a transformer. If you have a transformer with bell and whistle buttons those will activate the Bell, whistle and crewtalk sounds in conventional mode. There is also a firebox flicker feature, an IR transmitter to interface with the Sensor Track, three tone whistle; coal and water refill, usage and status; real railroad speed steps, rule 17 lighting, plus other features.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Kenny, you reminded me I have yet to take the two boxcars out of the box and photograph them. I was nervous about the green when I ordered it but it looks great on the layout. I have three green/orange GN boxcars from different manufacturers. I am working on comparison pictures of the "greens." Its hard to get the lighting right so the camera captures what the eye sees.
I have the 2022 Christmas boxcar on order along with the new re-run of the Y3. Currently shows October on the Lionel shipping schedule. I am hoping to have both by Christmas.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I vacillated about buying the 75th Anniversary car, but decided to get one. The actual car is better looking than the catalog cut. It was difficult to get an accurate color and low sheen rendering. If I used the overhead LED lights in the train room the color the camera recorded was a lot different than the actual car. In natural light it was closer, but there is not much window area in that room and it is the wrong time of day. I took the second picture with the car on my office mantle. That picture is an exact match the the actual car. The subtle two toning seems to be an attempt at weathering and what a car would look like after graffiti was removed. I am pretty sure it is not just a bad factory paint application.
Train Plant Rolling stock freight car Track
Train Rolling stock Vehicle Track Railway

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just finished my very first fixer-up-er. A 283 I bought on Ebay for $30 not running. Ended up just needing a pair of fingers and a new smoke wick, and of course a good cleaning and lube job. Took me 1 1/2 hrs. to do the smoke wick, hand tremers were bad yesterday. It smokes like crazy, used JT's uncented fluid. By the way does it set off the smoke alarms in the house? This is my first steamer. Have a 322 coming, a 312 getting repaired by Flyernut, and a 342AC in negotiations. Will post pics of them all eventually
Train Rolling stock Mode of transport Rolling Railway

Train Wheel Vehicle Window Rolling stock

Wheel Train Vehicle Rolling stock Track

Train Vehicle Rolling Rolling stock Gas

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling

1221 - 1240 of 1321 Posts