Model Train Forum banner
1261 - 1280 of 1321 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Cleaned and replaced upper and lower fingers truck chassis fill of gunk cleaned oiled works nice only thing on panagraph assembly they are missing the lock to keep it down. Tested on layout pull 3 955 maroon passenger cars no problem. Iam happy

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,269 ·
The prices on the K5s seem to be rising. What prices are not rising. its crazy.
Got a oil change on my truck yesterday. 130.00 and some change. Thats nuts.
It does take 8 quarts. At my age I try to not have to get under a vehicle. May
have to go back to changing my own oil. I do like to let the oil drain longer than
the service places do. One year ago at the same place it was 90.00 something.
90.00 I will pay, 130.00 I will not do again. Just everything has gone up alot.
I think we are being raped. Some gouging going on.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The service station I go for many years he told be oil is going up again in June nothing he can do the oil companies tell the vendors and the tell the service station dealerships etc but you are right Mopac we're are getting rapped no need for this just price gouging and the government just let's them do it.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
It is puzzling why prices of K5's are going up. There were plenty made and they do not fall apart or require more than minor maintenance.
Not puzzling why prices in the car world are way up. The price of that 0W40 is more than double and labor costs are up. I prepaid at purchase for all the scheduled services for my convertible, that has turned out to be a major cost savings with the price increases. The real question is why to we still have mandatory time based oil changes from manufacturers rather than just mileage based. My convertible requires service now, so 12 quarts of oil will be replaced even though the car was only driven 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I wish. Its even worse, we pay them a disposal fee to take the oil! I just got the car back from service, no charge since I prepaid when I purchased the car. Tomorrow I plan to order new tires for it, there will be a disposal fee for the dealer to take the old tires in addition to all the costs for the new ones.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Not a roster addition but a project that will result in an accessory addition. Just prior to the Memorial Day weekend I received an email from Miller Engineering with a 15% off code for use that weekend. Miller had released a limited edition PRR sign that I decided to get. A picture below shows the sign carefully balanced on the roof of the main station. Installation will require removal of the station from the layout and carefully cutting a slot in the roof for the multi pin connector to pass through. I also plan to cut the fake clock off of the station to allow the sign to sit much lower on the roof. Need to then find a way to route the ribbon cable down the station wall so it does not show through the windows, plus mount the controller and the converter modules out of sight inside the building. These projects always take a lot of planning, care and time.

Automotive tire Font Automotive design Landmark Facade

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,275 · (Edited)
Very nice sign Tom. Miller engineering has some really cool signs. I understand why you had to get the PRR sign.
I have wanted to get the American Flyer sign. And I will someday. Just need a deal. I am watching.

Tom, just a warning. As you know, tires are made from petroleum. Like gasoline, tires have
shot up in price also. My tire dealer was warning me. Thats where I got my 130.00 oil change.
The tires on my truck are 20 inch. They were 300.00 a piece 2 years ago. I was afraid to ask how much they are now.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I never asked the price, just ordered the tires. The last two will be in next week. I have a $150 off coupon, it might be enough to pay the tax, but probably not.
I had a Heinz Ketchup sign, a Westinghouse sign, S&H Green Stamps and Rexall Drugs signs on the layout. Now I will have the PRR sign when I finally finish the assembly and installation.

·
Premium Member
13,403 Posts
The service station I go for many years he told be oil is going up again in June nothing he can do the oil companies tell the vendors and the tell the service station dealerships etc but you are right Mopac we're are getting rapped no need for this just price gouging and the government just let's them do it.
Unfortunately, the government does not and cannot control the price….it’s like anything in a free enterprise system, price is driven by supply and demand….the same could happen to model train prices….if the demand is high and the supply is low, we will pay the high price if we want the trains….if we don’t buy, the price will be forced to go down, but it takes time….

We could help that by sending you more oil in the pipeline….no wait, the greenies don’t want more pipelines….hope they have to pay high gas prices to drive their Escalades to their environmental protests….

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,279 · (Edited)
Old Hobo, you are correct about the pipelines. First thing Biden did when he got in office was to shut down some pipelines. Thats when gas prices started going up. So don't tell me government has nothing to do with prices. Yes,
it is supply and demand. He cut the supply. And then tried to blame Putin. We used to be energy Independent, I guess we aren't now. John, not trying to be political, I am done. We need this thread. No more guys.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Tom nice sign. I don't have any but do know that Miller makes great signs. Since my layout is a rural setting I don'think those signs would be right for my scenery. No big buildings either. Sounds like you got some fitting work to do. Please post a pic of the finished mounting.

Kenny

1261 - 1280 of 1321 Posts