Model Train Forum banner
1281 - 1300 of 1375 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,285 · (Edited)
I got curious about Mandan Creamery & Produce Co.. Interesting stuff. They started in business in 1915 and thrived till after the war. Beginning of the end was around 1944. At one point they shipped butter and turkeys coast to coast. Peak butter production was 60,000 lbs a day. They also made ice cream.
Mandan is an indian tribe mainly in North Dakota. The site made creamery products till 1988. The buildings were razed and a huge parking lot was made that still exists. The same fate that many factories sustained.

Cool car.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,287 ·
Colors look good to me. Pretty sharp pic. And a very nice looking 316. Congrats. I got a 312AC that is nice also. I do not think I have showed it. I am behind on my pics. I will try to catch up this week. I like the high mounted headlight on the K5s. I know you like the Hudsons but the K5s are right up there in my books. Hudsons are a little bigger but still 6 drivers. I need to get my layout going, no excuses. and repair some locomotives. When you have no layout, repairing engines to run is not high on my list. Seems all I do is cut grass. Still buying a few things on ebay. I guess you saw I got to go to that Nascar race at Wide World Technology Raceway in Madison; Illinois. I had not been to a Nascar race for over 10 years. I do not follow Nascar like I used to. It was neat to see the cup cars. Many of the drivers have changed in 10 years. From the smells I was getting they are not running on straight gasoline.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Looks like a nice engine Kenny. A set of the Lionel AF PRR passenger cars would look great behind it.
About the picture, overall it looks good and might accurately show the real brightness and colors in your train room, or not. Only you can tell. The camera did not focus on the engine which was the intended subject, it appears to have used the Sunoco sign on the tower as the focus distance. That then set the "brightness." To take these pictures I almost always have to touch on the engine image on the screen to force the camera to focus on the engine, that also causes the overall brightness of the image to increase. About half the time I also lay down an LED linear floodlight between the engine and the camera to brighten all the black and help with detail and contrast.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Here is a similar picture I took of a 312AC using an iPhone. I touched on the screen image of the engine cab to fix the focus. Other than that the engine still looks too dark and featureless to me. Semi gloss black is very hard to photograph. The glare from the overhead lighting is visible on the engine, I do not have a polarizing filter for my iPhone camera. The other reason I repost this picture is to remind Mopac he still does not have the PRR passenger cars.

Train Ecoregion Rolling stock Vehicle Track

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Thanks Tom for your photography tips, appreciated. I have a two light LED light stand that spends time between my basement and my shop garage. That is where it is now. I should have brought it in. I don't like that shadow or darken area around the drivers. That light stand would have solved that. Wasn't aware of light focus point. I just thought that the camera saw the over all area. Maybe cropping the picture down past the yellow Sunoco sign have helped? The pictures had a yellowish tint that I had to filter out with my computer settings. I wasn't aware of the cause. Now I do.
So now I have a Miller sign company bulldozer sign to get and some Lionel AF PRR cars to get.
I almost forgot. The 316 smokes and runs fine. Just needs oiled and white lithium on the drive gears even though the grease already there is fine. I'd rather use lithium. The reverse unit could use some cleaning and polishing. It looks to be all original. The previous owner said he never ran it much and had owned it for 20 or so years and only did routine maintenance couple of times. The gray wire cloth looks great as well.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Tom I see what you mean regarding the engine coloring. Look at it another way. That brightness highlights the nice metal rail on the boiler not to mention the over all quality of the engine and no shadow around the drivers. I do love the coloring design of those coaches.

Kenny

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
It is strange that your picture had so much yellow you needed to correct it on the computer. That should not happen.
Here are two pictures of the same scene. The first one is w/o the additional LED light, the second is with it. The black detailing stands out with the augmented lighting. The 3rd picture shows the small strip light I use, it is about an inch shorter than a Gilbert hopper. The strip folds back into the light so it can be just a normal flashlight.
The engine is a Y3.

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine
Train Vehicle Wheel Rolling stock Steam engine
Train Track Rolling stock Railway Mode of transport

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mopac Glad to hear you experienced a NASCAR race after a long absence. The best part near your home. Yes things have changed a lot. From the drivers to the cookie cutter cars. Good thing they got the name of the make of the car written on them. on them. No I'm not a fan of the new car shapes. Let a Ford look like a Ford, a Chevy look like a Chevy, and Toyota look like a Toyota. Besides engine size limits the other big thing is the fuel. The actual name is Sunoco Green E15. It is a unleaded gas and 15% 110 octane ethanol resulting in a 98 octane rating, known simply as "Green E15". I don't know if you know it but all cars must run a Holley Fuel injection setup. Also every chassis is a spec chassis. All are identical based on NASCAR rules. All chassis are built in the same "shop" in Moorsville, SC.
Thanks for the 316 compliments. While Hudson's are my favorites, second are K5's as well. I have several myself. I'd have to look at what I have since I haven't kept up with my inventory list.
I forgot to ask if you noticed no more 5 lug wheels? One center nut like Indy cars. There have been issues with that since this is the first year.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Tom that auxiliary lighting lighting does make a difference. The black details real pop. Gotta get one of those. It would save me having to bring my mounted LED lights in from the shop.

Kenny

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,295 ·
Kenny, I knew all chassis and bodies are the same. Very closely watched. When they went that route was when I pulled back from Nascar. I did not notice center nut on wheels. I was down low in the stands and when they went by me they were a blur. I like sitting up higher. Very fast cars. They have to really trust the drivers in front of them to not hit the brakes.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mopac unless you were seated across from the pits and were able to watch the tire changing you wouldn't have noticed the lug nut deal. Yes they are fast. I lost real interest when NASCAR went to that 3 stage racing and mandated the look a like bodies. I still watch depending upon which track the race is at but not as dedicated as I was when they had he old cars. As a side note Dodge is coming back. They have been testing for a while now.

Kenny

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I restaged a Y3 on the turntable this morning, this time it is a Santa Fe Y3 only because it was handy. There is one key difference with this picture compared to the one above, other than I got the angle slightly different. This time I put the polarizing filter on the lens to eliminate the reflected glare. Looks different with the engine brightly lit and no glare, much more black but with details. The camera was set to Auto/Aperture priority (f16) and focused halfway between the cab and smokebox front. The camera electronics set the exposure time to about 5 seconds.

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Track Locomotive

1281 - 1300 of 1375 Posts