Model Train Forum banner
1301 - 1320 of 1375 Posts

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Today, tomorrow and Sunday, 6/24-26th, Des Plaines Hobbies is having a 22% off sale, storewide. They are the leading retailer for S gauge. It is worth looking at their website and worth the drive for those in the Chicago area.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Let us know what you think of the store. I have purchased from them at S Fest and on line but is has been decades since I was in the store. They carry all gauges and in S they are also a manufacturer of S Scale America and Fox Valley track and #5 turnouts. They also make O Scale America and some other items for HO and N.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Well, I just got back from the store, Desplanes Hobbies, and was shocked to see how prices went up...$50 for a railroad car?!?! I'll buy used and fix the wheels and couplers myself, thank you! Sheeeesh! I thought they inflated their prices on almost everything. Locomotives with sound, on Athern's website had a cheaper regular price.
Scale mini metal cars $5 higher than Amazon. $10 more on a box of 100 metal wheelsets, after sale. I was very disappointed. But I am Polish and like a good deal.... I did find a okay price, after discount on Kaydee coupliers...and going through their junk pile I got 2 used train car.
Font Material property Office equipment Handwriting Parallel

Their stock is highly limited and some items are not marked, like styrene sheets. So how do you know if your getting a verbal inflated price? There stock is pretty limited too. I was very disappointed on their regular prices. Reminded me of going to Hobbytown in Rockford and seeing their high prices. If you really want a decent price and a large selection of S or O gauge to choose from, also HO and N scale, Americas Best Hobbies would be a better choice.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Interesting, too bad it did not work out. Des Plaines has inventory of SHS, MTH (S)and SSA cars that no one else has.
I have looked at the store in Itasca but have not found any S gauge items. When searching, a lot of products are listed but they are all O gauge despite using S Scale in the search criteria. When searching on an S gauge manufacturer by name all searches show "no results." If they have S gauge items in the store I must be doing something wrong in my search criteria.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
That is a nice 942. The brakewheel was likely added by a previous owner, none have been reported with a brakewheel from the factory. I have added brakewheels to mine as well, looks better.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Never saw one of those brown and yellow stations. Is it Plasticville? Same with the brown and cream color variation. The chimney placement and wood pattern on the platform are not the same as other Plasticville stations.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Al, since I was curious I got out my book on Plasticville written by Bill Nole, the "Mayor of Plasticville." Included below are pictures of the two Suburban Station entries. The first is the standard Plasticville version we all see and many of us have. Note the value of $15. The second picture is the entry for the two stations you now have. While they were made by Bachman, they were made for, and marketed by Marx. These are not common, note the $40 value. Take good care of them.

Font Material property Rectangle Paper Illustration
Font Material property Handwriting Tints and shades Design

1301 - 1320 of 1375 Posts