Model Train Forum banner
1381 - 1400 of 1447 Posts

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Went to small show today bought these also picked up parts from the vendor I deal with and buy other train stuff.got some sad news today the other vender I buy stuff from I meet him about 6 0r 7 years ago at the big e train show. They told me a month ago he had a massive heartattach and died only 71 years young. Well here is the pics. View attachment 589193
View attachment 589192
View attachment 589191
View attachment 589190
That's funny, I bought over 30 pieces of rolling stock last week, and with it came 2 girder cars and the same tanker..Not to mention a butt-load of nice boxcars, a 930 and a 977 caboose, both working.. As a after-thought, better get that bunion fixed,lol!!

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,387 ·
Al, that is a great looking box car. I like it. Congrats. Where did you get it?

Defender, great looking 314AW. I don't have one but it is on the want list. Very nice condition.
I would agree with the 7. I need to see one of those videos where the whistle sounds good.
So far I have not. If I may ask where and how much for your new loco.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Mopac, the 314AW has a motor driven whistle similar to the billboard whistles so they sound almost the same. An excellent condition 314AW with a working controller is not cheap, over $300. Something to consider, for $140 there is the American Models combined electronic reversing unit and steam engine sound board. It includes a bell, a steam whistle and random steam engine sounds. It just needs a speaker and can be put into any Gilbert steam engine. It has been 15 years since I heard one of these, I still have an AM steam engine with the original sound board, I will get it out and test it to confirm my memory of how good the whistle is. All my other AM engines were converted to TMCC/Railsounds, they sound great.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Went to a small train show near my house. Sunday.
The vendor I deal with there is a good size train show in Ansonia Connecticut around hundred vendors all trains they it and old fashion show. So I will be going.
Thanks Al

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Al, enjoy the show, I cannot remember the last train show I was at.
Mopac, tested the Southern Crescent engine, its the only set I have from AM that is still completely original. The Bell and whistle sounds better than any of the FlyerChief whistles I had. Definitely not original Gilbert.

Train Wheel Plant Rolling stock Nature
Light Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Note the three choices on the set box label. As long as the engine is DC highrail you can use it. All AM engines are DC. The AC engines just have the AM 3-step electronic reverse board in the tender. It converts AC track power to DC and provides the direction sequence function when track power is interrupted. AM sells them for $45. With AC track power the sound board also works as discussed above but that costs $140 including the reverser board.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,393 ·
Another thing is the AM rolling stock kits. They all seem to have scale couplers. They are smaller.
I suppose they will not work with our oversized couplers. And I know to stay with the Hi-rail wheels. Thanks for the info Tom.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I think the AM kits are long out of production but do show up in the secondary market. For reference here are the AM couplers. The two on the left are standard high rail, one is the normal shank the other is a self centering mount used on their diesels. there is also a short shank coupler. The third coupler is a smaller high rail compatible fixed coupler used on the front of the FA engines. The one on the right is their scale compatible fixed coupler, it will mate with Kadee’s. I use them on the rear of the passenger observations for appearance purposes.

Automotive tire Circuit component Auto part Font Electronic component
Gesture Font Art Technology Monochrome photography

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
From second hand reports they are supposed to be good. I do not know if the kits contain trucks with truck mounted couplers or if they are body mounts only. Body mounts would be a no-go for me even with my wide radius curves.
Make sure all the parts are in each kit. AM does not have spares.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Flyernut it looks like you picked up some nice rolling stock there. I've got all of those. You may or may not know there are at least 6 different variations of the 922 car. At least that's what I have. Decale or stamped yellow stripe are the two basic types. I have found different angles of that stripe and lengths in both types. I am not usually a variation collector but in the case of this car I was. That stripe deal is hard to notice unless there is more than one sitting side by side.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Went to a train show about a month for the first time in 2-3 years and picked up a few things. It was a small show with moctly HO or O gauge. This show always had several Flyer venders. Not this time. This used to be a good show twice a year pre-covid. Now it is way down on size. Reasons why varied. The Flyer venders that were there had a very good selection. Is this the new version of train shows now? Tom I went to the DuPage train show this month for the first time in 4 years. The main building and 2 out side buildings were it. Way down in size.
Ooops! I have 4 pictures posted but they didn't transfer. Still haven't got this Windows 11 figured out. Tomorrow.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Kenny, you may have missed this picture I posted a while back. It is just three of my 622's I grabbed at random. All 622's have a decal and as 1953 only production, all have the long three spring trucks. Quality control on decal placement was not a production line priority.
Interesting info on the DuPage show. Were there any vendors in the upper parking lot? There should still be a good amount of AF at DuPage.

Train Motor vehicle Green Rolling stock Mode of transport

1381 - 1400 of 1447 Posts