Model Train Forum banner
1421 - 1440 of 1447 Posts

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,421 ·
Nice cars guys. Seems I have a C&EI car I think is a hopper but with black lettering.
Maybe it has red lettering.
I have only messed up one car by washing it. Seems it was a 639 yellow reefer. Washed
most of the black lettering right off. Like it was a water color. What I hated most it was from my 282
I got in 1955. It was a painted car. Well, lol, still is. Just very little or faint lettering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very nice Tom and a white box too. I won't complain because there was no box for mine. Just glad I finally found one with all good lettering and a nice body. Looking at the wheels on my it hasn't seen much track time. Kenny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mopar as strange as it may sound I did the same thing with a 639 reefer too. I used Dawn dish soap too and thought I used light pressure in cleaning. The car has one side with most of the lettering smeared off but the other side is all there since learned from the first time. It sits with the good side showing. Gilbert must have use weak ink in those. Kenny

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,425 ·
Al, always nice to get a load of new to you stuff. Nice find. I see you are getting more stuff than you can ever use.
I have the same addiction. What causes that? No cure I hear.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Couldn't pass up the price plus I been looking for 661 know I have all 4. I like passenger cars and tanker cars I have 10 tankers. The other two aluminum car I will clean up and might sell those two. And yes it is hard to stop. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Couldn't pass up the price plus I been looking for 661 know I have all 4. I like passenger cars and tanker cars I have 10 tankers. The other two aluminum car I will clean up and might sell those two. And yes it is hard to stop. Lol
Nice cars. For that price it would be hard to pass up. I'm sure there is no cure for the AF car buying habit. Too many is not enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Picked up this K5329 set from a local CL add. Seems to be complete with everything listed in the ‘53 catalog including the set box and and all the car boxes except for the 925. The catalog does not list a transformer for the set so I’m not sure if it came with one. I got a 15B with it along with the original box. They don’t appear to have been used much and must have been well stored as they aren’t even dusty. The 293 runs, but real slow. Hopefully cleaning and lubrication will fix that. Not sure about the smoke yet
Train Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Window
Train Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Window
Window Building Toy Rolling stock Cloud
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Track Train Wood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Building

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
The K5329 set was called the Meteor 8-unit freight train. In addition to the train the set box contained 12 curves, 4 straights, a 706 remote uncoupler, a 690 track clip and a package of 16 track locks. There was no transformer. Sets that included a transformer had a "T" suffix after the number. Looks like a nice Gilbert layout.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The K5329 set was called the Meteor 8-unit freight train. In addition to the train the set box contained 12 curves, 4 straights, a 706 remote uncoupler, a 690 track clip and a package of 16 track locks. There was no transformer. Sets that included a transformer had a "T" suffix after the number. Looks like a nice Gilbert layout.
Thanks for the information Tom. I did get all the extras, even the envelope with the wood screws for the uncoupler button and the envelope the smoke cartridges came in. I guess the owner was a saver.
Mark

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Went a train show in Connecticut today nice show mostly flyer which is great. I was watching a flyer layout and saw this accerie I never saw so the gentleman explained it was a 1954 prodo type never went into production they made 50 prodo types. Doesn't no why. So I took a video but not a picture so what it is a man goes side to side washing a passenger car it is so cool. And this is what bought today. They lots of nice flyer stuff.
Train Wheel Rolling stock Toy Locomotive

Motor vehicle Vehicle Track Rolling stock Railway

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Al, circus cars in good condition are always a good buy. Some animals and colors are more rare than others, such as the pelican in the red cage.
What you saw is a reproduction 765 car washer accessory. There was only one handmade prototype made by Gilbert, it was not put into production. This has been verified in interviews with Maury Romer. Maury also inspected and verified some factory prototypes of other cars and accessories, these have a tag on them signed and dated by Maury as a certificate of authenticity.
The 765 car washer reproductions were made in 1995. I am not aware of a specific production number but it could be 50. I saw one at DuPage back then, it was $195, I thought that was way too much and passed on it. Not one of my better decisions in retrospect.
The same company that made the 765 reproduction has made a number of other accessories that fit into a category of "Gilbert should have made this." One was a receiving platform for the automobile unloading car, another is a Gilbert's Chocolate Milk Dairy. I recall about 10 different items were made in very limited quantities. They are almost impossible to find today.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
For those interested, here is a handmade factory prototype of turnouts without lanterns that allow stacking turnouts in yards. Attached is an authentication tag by Maury Romer. I post this because back in the late 80's/early 90's Peter Jugle had these in his collection. Peter and his brother Andy brought these to a DuPage train show. I was able to pick these up and handle them as well as look at Maury's hand written tag. These turnouts were definitely hand made prototypes. Again, Gilbert decided not to make these.
When Peter passed away Andy began to thin out the collection. I bought some items and some paper but not these turnouts. Think $10,000 back in 1998.

Font Drawing Parallel Art Illustration

1421 - 1440 of 1447 Posts