Model Train Forum banner
1481 - 1500 of 1506 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Tom you say that Legacy has become very, very expensive. What hasn't recently. Seems to be a trend. I had planned on going to the Train Fest in Milwaukee. That's a 400 mile round trip which would be about a hundred bucks in gas. Nope.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I purchased two of the first release Y3's for $750 each, catalog price was $1,000. I paid $1,500 for the new Y3, exactly double eight years later. I bought my PRR Legacy PA/PA set for $515 in 2018. The discount price on the newest version just cataloged is $710. Call that about 35% price increase in four years. That is less than the increases we see in food, housing, hard goods, and gasoline over the same time period. That comparison just makes the train hobby more painful since more money goes to routine essential items, leaving less money for ever more expensive trains.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Finally got the 312 done. It was a mess to begin with. It was locked up tight with smoke oil and dried grease. Also, the armature was messed up to where I had to add .065 of shims. The smoke unit worked but
Train Automotive design Motor vehicle Office equipment Engineering

Engineering Machine Toy Composite material Auto part
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling
Train Rolling stock Track Wheel Railway
Automotive tire Floor Wood Flooring Automotive wheel system

Train Wheel Rolling stock Vehicle Railway

was so full of gunk on the bottom plate I decided to replace the wick. Well, I found out what was causing all the smoke oil from the past to build up. The one screw on the bottom plate was twisted off and they used JB Weld to hold it in place. So that is why there was smoke fluid all over this chassis. I worked for hours to get that off and the screw out. Anyway, to make a long story even more boring I took a little independent license and polished the lanterns on the loco and tender and put in jewels. I like it. I am waiting for the tender ladder handrail from Train Tender to finish it off.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Finally got the 312 done. It was a mess to begin with. It was locked up tight with smoke oil and dried grease. Also, the armature was messed up to where I had to add .065 of shims. The smoke unit worked but View attachment 593327
View attachment 593326 View attachment 593328 View attachment 593329 View attachment 593330
View attachment 593325
was so full of gunk on the bottom plate I decided to replace the wick. Well, I found out what was causing all the smoke oil from the past to build up. The one screw on the bottom plate was twisted off and they used JB Weld to hold it in place. So that is why there was smoke fluid all over this chassis. I worked for hours to get that off and the screw out. Anyway, to make a long story even more boring I took a little independent license and polished the lanterns on the loco and tender and put in jewels. I like it. I am waiting for the tender ladder handrail from Train Tender to finish it off.
Nice job buddy, I'm going to send my repairs to you from now on,lol!!! That's a beautiful engine, and I also like the "gold" stanchions holding the jewels. Remember, your railroad, your rules.. Nice pictures, I wish mine came out as nice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks everyone. I took the pipes and handrails and used Brasso on them by hand and an old wash rag. The lanterns I just took a dremmel brush to remove the paint and Brasso by hand to polish them also did the bell and the steam whistle. Lotsa hand work, took days. Wish I knew of an easier way. The linkages I used carb cleaner and Brasso again. Thank you all. This is my first teardown except for the wheels. I am thrilled at how it looks. I am currently working on a 315 and 316. Lotsa hand work. UFFDA

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Thanks everyone. I took the pipes and handrails and used Brasso on them by hand and an old wash rag. The lanterns I just took a dremmel brush to remove the paint and Brasso by hand to polish them also did the bell and the steam whistle. Lotsa hand work, took days. Wish I knew of an easier way. The linkages I used carb cleaner and Brasso again. Thank you all. This is my first teardown except for the wheels. I am thrilled at how it looks. I am currently working on a 315 and 316. Lotsa hand work. UFFDA
If I may add a suggestion, I use my dremel with a round, buffing pad with a touch of Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polishing compound. Gives everything a mirror finish with little effort, but the linkage connecting rod will get hot,lol..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been lucky to pick up some Flyer over here the last few weeks which has made a nice addition to my collection. The first is a mostly boxed 4607 set from 1946. It is all in great condition considering it’s age and not had too much handling in the past.

It is missing an inspectors slip, manual and a box for the curves. Did this set have a blue and yellow box for the track or the thicker brown cardboard version? I also have an unboxed 8B transformer with it as well which is 110V, I need to replace the cord on this as it is looking like the insulation is breaking down with splits in it.

The engine/tender have been stripped down and rebuilt and it runs OK. The tender smoke unit runs nicely, probably better than all my others and the bellows look in good condition as well without any signs of tears or other issues.

The set was originally ordered in NY and sent to Galvesto, Texas.
Train Wood Rolling stock Rolling Flooring
Train Wood Rolling stock Rolling Flooring
Circuit component Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Electronic component
Font Tree Wood Wall Rectangle

1481 - 1500 of 1506 Posts