Model Train Forum banner

Show us what you have added to your roster

168K views 2K replies 60 participants last post by  AmFlyer 
#1 ·
The O guys have a sticky thread titled "Show us what you have added to your roster". I would like to ask John to make this a sticky for the S guys. And then that means you guys need to use it. I am buying AF and I know Broke is and then there is flyernut. He is always adding stuff. I will go through my pics and add what I have bought in last few months soon. I think I am getting a flyer in the mail today. Pics can be locomotives, rolling stock, or buildings. Anything S scale.

#1,517 ·
Al, some info on your 8458 Southern GP9. It was part of the third set in the "Historic American Railroads" series, cataloged in 1984 but not made and delivered until mid-1985. The six Southern cars in the set are 9105 3 dome tank car; 9004 piggyback flat car; 9303 container gondola; 9204 3-bay hopper; 9704 boxcar; the 9403 lighted bay window caboose.

#1,519 ·
OK, this place is addictive. When I joined, I only wanted to fix up my 234 from my 1959 Defender set. NOW!!! I have 4 diesel engines and 11 steamers. But oh!!! no we can't just stop there. This came Fedex Monday. Thank you all for telling me I would be addicted. I only wanted to start with one steamer, JEEZ! Now I also have a Lionel CW-80 transformer coming and 18ft of Fastrak. WILL THE MADNESS EVER STOP???? I am doomed, I am melting, melting, melting!
Rectangle Font Electric blue Cloud Publication

Motor vehicle Font Gas Electric blue Signage

Air gun Trigger Wood Office equipment Shotgun

#1,521 ·
Your rate of addiction seems to be slightly faster than average, as measured by the number of engines purchased/month. You are now at a possible inflection point with the purchase of your first Command Control engine. My rate of engine purchases tripled after I got my first Command Control engine. Just something to look forward to.

#1,524 ·
No worries there, we don't have train shows around here. Minneapolis would be the closest. over 6 hrs. away All I have is Ebay, So far haven't been burned. All the sellers I have dealt with cooperate very well. But Yes Loren, I am sick and I need treatment. All I need is a nice 661. Oh no I am at it already. Somebody please help me get a 661. LOL

#1,529 ·
I have been running it with my 30B transformer and the remote that comes with it. I got the phone thing done but have trouble figuring out everything on it. Can't find where to get out of the app. My CW-80 is back ordered through Charles Ro. We have been fighting a big winter storm since Monday. 16+ inches of snow, just got dug out this morning and my John Deere lawn tractor with snowblower on it
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

has to go in the shop, I think a u-joint in the drive shaft went. Plus, we are now going to get hit with subzero temps for the next 7-10 days. That's actual temp's folks. I like the Berkshire; Guess I will have to buy some Christmas boxcars for it. OH!!! MY!! there I go again; the disease has reappeared. I hear I am lucky though. I don't have the rash or loss of hearing yet. This picture of the John Deere is from 3 yrs. ago at the old place where we lived.

#1,530 ·
My take is a relocation is in order. Needing a John Deere with a snow thrower attachment is not my idea of fun. We prefer living where we can see snow on the mountain peaks while sitting outside in 68 degree sunshine. I not so fondly remember standing on the Belmont Street platform waiting for a late BN commuter train in minus 18 degree weather. The trains would be late because at those temperatures the turnout points would freeze in position and it took a while to ignite the gas heaters on the points and thaw them.
No need to fight the urge, no issue purchasing a couple of cars for 765 to pull. Don't forget a Christmas caboose, Lionel made five different ones including one with Santa on the rear platform. I prefer the red bay window caboose.

#1,533 · (Edited)
Is your Deere a X 700 series. I have a X 500. Love it. Nice wheels. Mine are just yellow wheels.
Nothing runs like a deere.

Tom will get you every time on weather. He has the best weather, no doubt. I would trade weather with him, but not gasoline prices. Paid 3.24 today. Getting cold here. 13 tomorrow.
We have not had a white Christmas in 7 years. They are predicting 8 inches on Christmas.
They can't predict 2 hours from now so how they know about Christmas I do not know. 20
years ago we always had a white Christmas. Kids got sleds for Christmas. Not any more.

#1,534 ·
The decision to retire where there is nice weather was intentional, not accidental. I gave up hope for a basement for the trains by living here. I paid $4.65/gal for premium this morning, not that bad. Sounds like we are $1.00/gal more than you for regular. The bigger gap between here and there prices might be groceries, I can't believe how much they have gone up in our local stores.
Trains are the same price everywhere!

#1,535 ·
Food is high here also. My cottage cheese has gone up 4.00 a container. LOL, not that big of container either.
Fast food is nuts here also. And they close early all the time. Can't count on much these days. No one wants to work
anymore. Not sure how they are getting by. Not working means not much money. Most of the free rides are over.
Life has changed since covid.

#1,536 ·
Sorry to hear that. I thought you folks had it better than those of us on the west coast. Our food bills are up at least 50% in the last year. the smallest increase was beef products. The cost of my wine clubs is unchanged so that is really good news since I buy about 10 cases/year.

#1,538 · (Edited)
You have not said if you like your new modern steamer. I have trouble getting out of my phone app
also. But I always do. For the money I think they are neat. I have a 765 also. It still exists. I think it
is at a museum in Indiana. Lots of videos on Youtube of it. Just put in NKP 765 and that should pull
them up. I thought Charles Ro was out of the 765. Nice locomotive. Where did you order a CW-80 from. It should work fine for your Berk.

#1,540 ·
Yes, I have been running it a lot. The track I ordered just came today. Will get that up and running soon. My big question now is how to clean the wheels on the Berkshire? I really like this unit. Wish I could find a Burlington Northern Diesel with these features. Ordered the CW-80 from Charles Ro also. B/O until the 20th. Used ones on ebay were going for more than what they wanted for new.

#1,541 ·
Mopac, the wheels are actually just hub caps. At the time I bought 2 at Lowes and the other two from another seller which for the life of me I just can't remember. Helps keep the snow from packing in the dish of the rims. You have to get valve stem extensions for the tires to put air in though.