Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Shay,

I've said it before, but gotta say it again ... you are the master of realism. Great work.

:worshippy::worshippy::worshippy:

(Plus, I get to try out some more of my "new" emoti-thingies!)

TJ

·
Registered
241 Posts
Shay, the Tyco looks real man, nice work. But, the Rotory Snow Plow gets my vote!

I have 2 of them, and working on one for L&N. Will post up some picks soon. I dont have a layout yet, so it want even get close to that pic ;)

Kevin

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Shay, the Tyco looks real man, nice work. But, the Rotory Snow Plow gets my vote!

I have 2 of them, and working on one for L&N. Will post up some picks soon. I dont have a layout yet, so it want even get close to that pic ;)

Kevin

That plow is posed on a diorama that's roughly 18" square, the "snow" is sifted baking soda that was vacuumed up later...the big hook is on one that's about 12" by 20". My actual layout is pretty basic with no real scenic work on it.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Yes, this is my current one...

...though unfinished, carefully posed shots still come off OK...

...not a crane, but close enough...:D

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for posting the crane pics, shay... your detailing is impeccable. :):thumbsup:

By the way... is your snowplow powered or does an engine push it? Is that a tender behind it?

Greg

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
It's not powered...an old Roundhouse 3-in-1 kit from the 70s, they gave you all the major bits to kitbash one, you provided the rest and the ability to cobble something together. The blades come from Athearn and do not turn. I carved off all the cast on grabs on the shroud and installed wire ones.

It's designed to be pushed, as a model and in real life. They used retired steamer tenders, coal fired ones like this one had covers installed so that the snow didn't turn the coal into a big chunk of ice.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Shay,

Brilliant detailing. Love the diorama. When you're conceiving something like that, to you have a particular vantage point in mind? I.e., rationale behind the Quonsett huts chopped off on an angle.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Thanks, TJ

I've always model in a way to avoid parallel or perpendicular lines, real life isn't built that way in the rural settings I model. The Quonset huts were an interesting project. I needed two for the scene and only had one, fully assembled one to work with. A little careful cutting with a miter saw and I had these...

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
Thanks, TJ

I've always model in a way to avoid parallel or perpendicular lines, real life isn't built that way in the rural settings I model. The Quonset huts were an interesting project. I needed two for the scene and only had one, fully assembled one to work with. A little careful cutting with a miter saw and I had these...

But now you neither have one or two, but two halves of one.:rolleyes::D

Nice Shay, :thumbsup: they would fit in nicely with Greg's half rail road cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts