Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi GUYZ,
For passenger train interiors, what do you like? Seated and standing passengers, silhouettes, or no passengers at all? I like the cars with passengers in but really when they are traveling do you really see them? Or doesn't it really matter to much? any thoughts?

P

·
0 Posts
Excellent subject, Laz. I think for many of us who grew up in the hobby that for us it is a little complicated by the fact that silhouettes were all we knew and loved when that's all there was. The completed interiors with passenger figures was a welcome enhancement that most of us really appreciated. But let's not forget that part of our O-Gauge hobby has history with the silhouettes and many of these cars are still in service on many layouts. It is part of where we were and where we are now.

Bottom line for me, sure I prefer the completed interiors with passenger figures, but I love and respect the history of the silhouettes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree with Spence and will take it a step further. I like detailed interiors and I absolutely hate silhouettes. I won't own them!

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
Well, both.

I like clear (not tinted green) windows in the cabs and passenger cars and cabooses of my modern model trains, along with realistic figures of passengers.

Silhouettes remind me of toys and are great in older "toy trains." I even like the very old toy trains, tinplate, with painted windows with little painted silhouettes of people in each.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I like detailed interiors with seated passengers. It can cost a few bucks to make that happen and it is sometimes tedious (if you want to save a few bucks and paint the MTH figures), but it’s worth it. I do think the figures are noticeable and sometimes a visitor to the layout will comment about them.

I don’t think too many go for the silhouettes these days. A few years ago, I got a set of Williams 15” aluminum silhouette cars thinking they would look good with my MTH premier cars. They didn’t match well so they have been for sale. Nobody has even nibbled at them…for 66% off MSRP.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Absolutely no silhouettes for me but “real people” are problematic, at least in O scale, where the choice is limited. Nonetheless I have adapted such S scale figures as I could find - because 3rail O interiors are closer to S than true O scale. Aside from that, there’s no substitute for three-dimensional interiors in lighted cars.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I settled for the window strip passenger cars for years. But since acquiring newer K-Line and Lionel passenger cars with interiors and people, I like them much better.

The K-line cars have seated and standing up people. In my K-Line Santa Fe observation car, there's even a stand-up bar tender behind a counter.

While it may be true that when the train is at speed, one cannot notice the interiors much as the passenger cars pass by. But when the train is slowing down and stopping at the station, then leaving the station getting back up to speed, that's when they are more noticeable and when the interiors with people make a difference.

C

·
0 Posts
I run traditional size trains on my toy train layout. Passenger cars with silhouettes are part of the tradition of O gauge and remind me of the trains I had growing up in the 1950s. I like passenger cars with silhouettes, but I prefer cars with interiors and people. As a train rolls by it's easy to see if there are people in the cars. It adds to the fun of running passenger trains. So for me, silhouettes are good and interiors with people are even better.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am a toy train traditionalist and grew up in the 1950's, and PW is my "thing". I have no problem with silhouettes, but I also have newer stock that has seated passengers. I even run both types of cars together in the same train. (GASP!) If cars have don't have one or the other, however, it makes it look like your railroad's passenger department is "failing", so I stay away from those. :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I am a toy train traditionalist and grew up in the 1950's, and PW is my "thing". I have no problem with silhouettes, but I also have newer stock that has seated passengers. I even run both types of cars together in the same train. (GASP!) If cars have don't have one or the other, however, it makes it look like your railroad's passenger department is "failing", so I stay away from those. :)
I do that as well jay jay, but not by choice. I need Union Pacific Pullman sleepers for my Yellowstone Special train, which was a mostly Pullman night train. But I've been unable to find UP cars with the Pullman lettering with interiors and passengers. So, I had to settle for a couple of older Pullmans with the strips mixed in with the cars that have the interiors with passengers. Oh well.

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

As one can see, the problem with mixing the two kinds together in a train like this is, that in reality, the Pullman sleeper cars should be dimmer than the coach cars. But in this train, the Pullmans with the incandescent light bulbs are brighter than the coach cars with the modern lighting. I guess the solution would be to rewire the Pullman cars with dimmer light strips.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I like real passengers Though they always complain about the tiny seats and low headroom in an HO carriage.

W

·
0 Posts
There is a place for both passenger cars. I have watched a few night videos of passenger cars with silhouettes running and in the darkness of a train room there is something serene about them. We have a set of MTH aluminum Pullman cars with silhouettes to run behind the VL PRR Baldwins. I know they will look good. Nostalgic too.

Regards,

Gary.

P

·
0 Posts
"There is a place for both passenger cars. I have watched a few night videos of passenger cars with silhouettes running and in the darkness of a train room there is something serene about them. We have a set of MTH aluminum Pullman cars with silhouettes to run behind the VL PRR Baldwins. I know they will look good. Nostalgic too.

Regards,

Gary."

Totally agree with you, Gary.

Those of us who have been on the MTF for a little bit so welcome your contributions. For one of our new guys, you have made a very positive impact on the MTF. Looking forward to meeting you and your wife. Good job!!!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yellowstone Special, since you are modeling a particular train with specific requirements, two Pullmans requiring interiors, you might consider adapting the LIONEL 15" aluminum interiors to your older silhouette cars.

For example, these are photos of the ATSF Sleeper "Palm Leaf" and interior. Perhaps the interior would work for your Pullmans. They sell for $11 at North Lima Train Works. You might also need a couple of new frames @$5 each. So, for $16 per car plus $9 S&H from NLTW, you could have Pullmans with interiors and folks. The photos of the Palm Leaf are included to show the window configuration for comparison to your Pullmans.

And LED lighting using GRJ's product or "rolling your own" would be a tremendous improvement over the "hot spots" and flickers of the silhouette cars with the OEM bulbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is nice to hear alot of different comments about this. I have 2 set with the silhouettes and a few sets with nothing in them but the the seats and interiors and the rest with full figures in them. I really like the full figured interiors but at times running the silhouettes does bring back the nostalgia in days of yore. Good points by everyone on this subject.:smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts