Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Are you talking about the horseshoe clip? There really is no way; you need to bend it slightly to get it off... If it breaks, you can just replace it with a modern e-clip... I posted the size on here somewhere, let me look...

If you break the horseshoe clip that holds the truck to the frame it can be replaced with a 3/16 inch e-clip, available at most hardware stores...

·
Admin
44,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, nice to know I'm not totally stupid, I couldn't see how to get it off easily. They aren't spring steel like I'm used to.

I guess you can tell that I'm new to this, my grandson is really interested in trains, so I'm buying some stuff and putting together a platform. Of course, when you buy stuff that's 40-50 years old, you have to fix some of it as well. :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
How do you remove the c-clip on trucks without bending it? Is there some "secret recipe" or tool? My standard c-clip pliers don't seem to work well.

I get them off with a screwdriver. Just give it a little twist while exerting pressure with another screwdriver on the open end.

Do they make a tool for it?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
B&M, aren't they 3/16th?
That is what my post says :)

Do they make
a tool for it?
You may be able to use a set of snap-ring pliers to get the horeshoe clips off, but IIRC the pinch is usually too tight to get them in there... They work great when reinstalling them though...

·
16,666 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what's the difference between an e-clip and a c-clip? A photo example, maybe ??

(I suspect that I have seen both, but just don't know the naming convention.)

Thanks much,

TJ

·
16,666 Posts
Thanks, guys, for the pics and the clarifications! Much appreciated.

Now that I see the "names", I've been using the e-clips with great success on retaining the front trucks on several prewar Lionel tinplate locos. Easy to remove. Easy to install. Easy to squeeze for adjustment, if necessary.

Thanks,

TJ

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The easiest way to remove the clips in question is to use a pair of slip joint pliers and put one jaw on the open end of the clip and the other jaw on the post. The clip will easily slide off, and the bending of the clip is held to a minimum. You can use any pair of pliers that has a relative wide jaw and is straight or almost straight across the end.
Bruce Baker

1 - 20 of 23 Posts