Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,284 Posts
Sounds like you have a project going flyernut. I do not have any SIT locomotives.
Kinda on purpose. Just don't know how to work on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you have a project going flyernut. I do not have any SIT locomotives.
Kinda on purpose. Just don't know how to work on them.
I have a 322 Hudson with SIT, but that one works fine...Yep, I was sent 4 engines to make run, 300AC, 290, 293, and a SIT Hudson.I have the engine running fine, and I started work on the tender bellows today. And yes, there's reason why I don't have any,lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
I think T-man just rebuilt one so that should work fine. It doesn't set up too quickly. I only replaced the bellows in one years ago and used rubber cement which Portlines says can be used along with super glue. There is a repair clinic for these S.I.T.s on his website .I used rubber cement since it dries slowly and I didn't know what I was doing and was hoping if I screwed it up I could get it apart before it was too late.:hah::dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My plans are to bond one side, and then bond one side of the other part. Then do a second side on one part, and the corresponding side on the other part until I get all 4 sides joined...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
That sounds like it should work, just don't rush it. Let each side dry before moving to the next step. One of the S.I.T. that I had and sold a long time ago had the motor and piston upgrade instead of the bellows. I know Doug at Portlines sells these kits but I can't recall If Flyer sold this type of repair kit to its service centers. It worked nice and the choo choo sound was better IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
If you are looking to patch holes...which frequently occur on the corners where the bellows flex you might consider Plasti-Dip...the stuff meant for dipping tool handles. It remains flexible and you can apply multiple coats to build up as much thickness as you want. I have used it successfully. It is similar to the Flex Seal line of products...but those folks want a small fortune for their stuff. Guess they need to pay for their endless commercials.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,284 Posts
You are correct on the endless commercials for flex seal. I have to say that stuff works.
My son got me some for water leaks in my basement. Where wall and floor meet. 2 or 3
hours of rain and I would get water in. House is on side of hill and water runs up against back basement wall. I did about 1 inch up from floor and 1 inch onto the floor and so far not a drop of water has come in. I like that. I bet you could patch a hole in the bellows. It does stay flexible, well rubbery. I have thought about trying some on the drivers of my steamers for better traction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I used super glue on mine, worked fine. I glued one side.(1/4) then the other corresponding side and then both sides on the next 1/4. Then kept rotating till done.


John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used super glue on mine, worked fine. I glued one side.(1/4) then the other corresponding side and then both sides on the next 1/4. Then kept rotating till done.


John
That's exactly what I was going to do....:smilie_daumenpos:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I did a 322 today and used Goop glue(flexible)
It was easier to work with for alignment . I also used a 27 ohm open wire resistor.
The 322 smoked great, not too much, but respectable.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top