Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was mentioned in another thread about Lionel's new release of the Harriman 2-8-0s. Rather than get off topic there I thought better to start a new thread. If you model eastern roads some of these may be closer. I follow NYC and none of these are exact matches for a specific NYC engine they are closer than the western Harriman engine IMO.

This is a 3rd Rail engine done is the late 1990s. Conventional with no sound but very smooth runner and upgradable. This now has ERR Cruise and Railsounds. They come up on ebay often in many roadnames and with coal or oil tenders.

MTH did an H9, also not NYC but at least sans Belpaire firebox. Its about the size of the Lionel ten wheelers.

Lastly is the H3. Maybe NYC did have something close as 1800 engines were not quite as road specific. This arrived lettered for C&O with the blue closely matching the NYC 999 so I lettered it for early NYC. It will pull the more mundane green MTH open vestibule cars and 999 pulls the fancy ESE cars. This is a tiny engine and a wonder all the PS3 electronics can fit in there.

Feel free to post your favorite small engines.

Pete

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary, I am an opportunist. None of these bought new. They came up and the price was right.

Pete

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
A favorite wheel arrangement for me. I wish someone would produce a slightly earlier 2-8-0 (Like 1910 vintage) as I would like to letter one for the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad. I have a few 2-8-0s from Weaver, MTH and Lionel, but they are all later production types.

The B&S had 40 some Consolidations that went to the B&O when the B&S was sold. They were E-60 class on the B&O…

Tom

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gary, I am an opportunist. None of these bought new. They came up and the price was right.
Same here. Some people think I must have spent a vast amount on my trains, but it ain't so. I just wait around till the bargains appear, and then pounce.

As for the original question, I would love to see a 3-rail O scale RDG 2-8-0, like the one porduced in HO by Bachmann during the Seventies

·
Registered
63 Posts
I relettered one into a Rutland. The key was finding a model with the white trimmed wheels. I believe it was a Nickel Plate. It had the correct Alco builders plates. The cylinders at least tilt inward a bit. Not true to the prototype but it has the right look. At some point I’d like to change up the pilot and get steps to the running boards. The big downside is the front coupler is not operational for doubleheading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts