Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, had a question, posted this in the G-scale yesterday but perhaps i'll get an answer here
i had a question on a smoke unit:
Aristo-Craft 29309 RS-3 Smoke Unit
I am modeling in HO, but I bought this unit to use as a volcano smoker.
i used a few drops of local hobby store smoke- it was nasty smelling- son was choking- not like when i was a kid. SO I found megasteam... vanilla scented. . Well, the unit will not smoke and wont smoke with regular smoke either

- since that post yesterday, i opened up the smoke unit last night after i still can get NO smoke period. i notice the rope wick wrapped around 2 capacitor looking things. the wick is blackened where its wrapped, and still white ends at the bottom.
Did i burn the smoke unit out? I would think the wick must turn black in order to make smoke... but what do i know.
I hooked it up to a power supply, think its 18vt tyco pro i tried the D/c contacts and the A/C contacts.... which as I type this, thinking that might be stupid... if its from a train.. its the A/C- track side of the power supply right?.

think i burned it out?
dang thing was brand new.. i used it once.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, assuming i did burn it out..
recommend a new one? ~$20.
i saw an LGB 65213 Smoke Unit 18V For #21211
its a stack but from reading... not too many folks hip on Airsto.
any input is appreciated.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,754 Posts
Just guessing, black is not good.
You need the switch to kill the power when the smoke stops, or it will burnout.
Use the voltmeter to see if you have continuity. If not something burned.
The company has a good site, read up on what uses the smoker. The info is there.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ditto. I use smoke units for my industrial smoke stacks. Not Aristo, however. I had heard "horror stories" about them and shied away. I do not know the manufacturers, however. When filling the units, I use the lower number of drops as a precaution for overfilling. I feel you may have lost your unit.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
took the wick off... the two resistors wrapped in it or what not are fried.
it has a huge reservoir, now that i can see it. I think i ran tooo much power through it.
I thihnk its 13vt so i figured 18vt wouldnt be too bad.. duh. guess 13 was max.
I wish they had part #'s.. i sell 100's of caps and resistors all day, I'm a component broker.
can anyone tell me like what these are and rough paramiters maybe? i'll just get new and use the housing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts