Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

First time post. I did search "smoke" before posting this question and didn't find anything pertaining to my problem.

I have a GP-30 that I bought a few years ago that we don't run very often. I took it out and set it up to show my 2 year old yesterday. It had a few probs that I think i worked out. The sound would work intermittently - the sound card needed reseated... The smoke unit always worked. This evening we powered it down by using the 5 button on the tmcc remote but forgot to cut the power. When I came back to the room I could see smoke coming out of the stack but it appeared the fan was not blowing. I turned off the power and left. When I came back an hour or so later to play the smoke would not come back on. I tested the heating element and am not getting any current to it. It's not heating up.

I guess my question is did I burn the unit up and is it repairable? I'm pretty savvy with electronics as far as soldering goes so I'd like to give it a go myself first.

Any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Joe

Lionel gp-30 seaboard, model 6-28841

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
hello,

First time post. I did search "smoke" before posting this question and didn't find anything pertaining to my problem.

I have a GP-30 that I bought a few years ago that we don't run very often. I took it out and set it up to show my 2 year old yesterday. It had a few probs that I think i worked out. The sound would work intermittently - the sound card needed reseated... The smoke unit always worked. This evening we powered it down by using the 5 button on the tmcc remote but forgot to cut the power. When I came back to the room I could see smoke coming out of the stack but it appeared the fan was not blowing. I turned off the power and left. When I came back an hour or so later to play the smoke would not come back on. I tested the heating element and am not getting any current to it. It's not heating up.

I guess my question is did I burn the unit up and is it repairable? I'm pretty savvy with electronics as far as soldering goes so I'd like to give it a go myself first.

Any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Joe

Lionel gp-30 seaboard, model 6-28841

I know nothing of your engine but I see no one replied.

The switch is turned on right?
They say you should add a few drops when storing this to. Always keep it wet.

Do you have this?
http://www.lionel.com/media/servicedocuments/72-8215-250.pdf

I will research some more.
Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.:(

If anything I bumped the post, maybe someone will see it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ughhh! little fingers where they're not suppose to be. Apparently, one of the little ones switched it off. I checked the switch and walked away for maybe 30 seconds... they're pretty quick. Thank you for all your help!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
Ughhh! little fingers where they're not suppose to be. Apparently, one of the little ones switched it off. I checked the switch and walked away for maybe 30 seconds... they're pretty quick. Thank you for all your help!

You know there are 4 switches under there.:D
(I think it's 4)

Don't forget to always keep that smoker wet with fluid, even when you store it.

Edit,

yes 4.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know there are 4 switches under there.:D
(I think it's 4)

Don't forget to always keep that smoker wet with fluid, even when you store it.

Edit,

yes 4.
Yep, saw those in the manual.

Appreciate your help!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting a lot of smoke in the train body. The white smoke chute is in place but is it suppose to be sealed where it meets the body itself... just under the little grate on top of the body where the smoke comes out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts