Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good smoke unit to add to a steamer? It is a plastic shell. Also not sure on the room to fit it. As before I have two bachmann Berkshire 2-8-4 Lima works locos. They do have dcc. I will be running on a dc layout for now.
That update may be next winter to dcc on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
For my money, there is no such thing as a good smoke unit. They don't look realistic, they smell bad, make an oily mess everywhere, and they're prone to burning up, possibly damaging your loco.

If you still want one, I'm sure someone else can advise you on a good brand.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For my money, there is no such thing as a good smoke unit. They don't look realistic, they smell bad, make an oily mess everywhere, and they're prone to burning up, possibly damaging your loco.

If you still want one, I'm sure someone else can advise you on a good brand.

You know ... I’m on the fence about getting one. I just thought I would ask. It’s been a few years since I had one. ( I was 7... I’m 42 now!! Lol)

I would of thought that technology would of advanced a bit since then... sounds like it may have not. Lol

·
Registered
9,756 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well to be honest I am not offended by anyone’s opinion. That is why I asked what I asked. What does everyone use, or not use?? Lol
I think I am going to try my hand at one & see how it goes. If I like it I may add another... if not then I will sell a loco with a smoke unit in it
At this stage I have a nice single main line layout with a lay over spur & a small yard.
I have 15 locos .... I don’t think I need to have that many anymore. So I am trying new things & downsizing... maybe !! Ha ha ha!

·
Registered
265 Posts
First you have to figure out if there is enough room in the loco to circulate air around the unit. These things tend to get hot and will melt a plastic boiler. Some manufactures will not put smoke unites in a steamer unless it's above a certain size or are made of cast metal. Then again, I've seen plastic boiler locos about the same size from other manufactures that have no problems stuffing smoke unites into their steamers (the HO scale MTH K-4s 4-6-2 PRR Special in Tuscan Red #5409 DCC-Sound comes to mind); but there are other things to consider. Just because you can install a smoke unite in your favorite steamer doesn't mean you'll be happy with it. It most likely won't have synchronized chuffs. The timing will be way off on the quarter turns. The intensity of the smoke will not change. It will just pump out whiffs of smoke the same way it does without the kind of definition needed to bring a steamer to life. If you're OK with that, fine. To me it would be leaving too much on the table.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First you have to figure out if there is enough room in the loco to circulate air around the unit. These things tend to get hot and will melt a plastic boiler. Some manufactures will not put smoke unites in a steamer unless it's above a certain size or are made of cast metal. Then again, I've seen plastic boiler locos about the same size from other manufactures that have no problems stuffing smoke unites into their steamers (the HO scale MTH K-4s 4-6-2 PRR Special in Tuscan Red #5409 DCC-Sound comes to mind); but there are other things to consider. Just because you can install a smoke unite in your favorite steamer doesn't mean you'll be happy with it. It most likely won't have synchronized chuffs. The timing will be way off on the quarter turns. The intensity of the smoke will not change. It will just pump out whiffs of smoke the same way it does without the kind of definition needed to bring a steamer to life. If you're OK with that, fine. To me it would be leaving too much on the table.

hmmmm.... that does give me a bit more to think about.. thanks for the input!
So there are not any units that will increase as that train speeds up? That is a bit off....
you would think that with technology we would have a better unit now a days.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
My 4 steamers don't have smoke.....to me, it doesn't make it look like "real" smoke/steam anyway, so why bother considering all the fuss and maintenance......

I'm with CTV on this.....

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
FWIW, smoke is outlawed at most clubs... for the very reasons CTV mentioned.
I can vouch for the stink and the mess.
The LHS manager threw in a tube of 'lighter fluid' with my BLI diesel, but I tossed it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok well that is more good info to know! I am not a member of any club , and my locos won’t be anytime soon.
Where I live there are not many clubs around. I have to drive 2 hours away just to find a store with some trains! Lol
I also was thinking of adding just a smoke generator to my factory stacks instead of my locos...??? I don’t know yet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts