Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Well, those are just purely impressive!! I bet the price is too.

Reactions: sjm9911

·
Registered
157 Posts
Synchronised smoke and cylinder drain steam also available in H0 !
These are models of French locomotives by REE models.

I have a 231 K and 231 D and are very impressive and cost about the same as say a Broadway Ltd equivalent.
The cylinder steam can be turned on and off under DCC control so is more realistic as it is only prototypically used to clear condensation from the cylinders when starting or when required.
For those that do not know the French wheel notation 231 is a pacific or 4-6-2 where the axles are counted rather than the wheels. The K or D refers to the locomotive series.
Colin

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, those are just purely impressive!! I bet the price is too.
They run in the neighborhood of $5K each. You could probably do better with the right dealer.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Are the European folks more into this?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First I've seen it. Don't know if it's really popular or not.

·
Registered
157 Posts
H0 locos with steam and smoke effects use oil.
If you want real steam this is the thing. ( If you can get one as they are out of production).

Hornby Live Steam loco.
Uses a dedicated track and controller to boil water in a tank in the tender which actually drives the pistons and therefore the wheels.
It was considered difficult to control but like the real thing required a bit of practice to get the best out of it.
It is British 00 scale which runs on 16.5mm track like H0.
They are now collectors items with prices to match - some rare versions running into $4,000 or more !
The more common versions as above can be found for about $700 complete with controllers.
I have three of them - one ( the one above) for running and two unused for the future.
Colin.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I just did a quick look up of the producer of the HO video. They were selling for $599.95 each. I say were because there are no more available.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Like many manufacturers these days they are only produced in batches which quickly sell out.
I missed the first batches and had to wait for mine !
I just looked on the website for the UK distributor and more are listed for later this year plus other new products in the pipeline.
I imagine that the current situation is causing problems with manufacture and distribution.
Colin.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is certainly causing an intelligence problem with the USPS.

Reactions: cid
1 - 12 of 12 Posts