Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start soldering some of my n scale track soon and have been doing a little practice. I suck at this and could use any tips at all.
I have 2 solder irons. One gets too hot and the other takes for ever to heat up and cools down too quick when I am in the middle of a joint. :(
I have rosin core solder 60/40

alfalfa

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Use a soldering iron that has a needle nose type of tip. Use a soldering iron that does not have a switch, and let it heat up until it's ready. Has to be super hot.

Put wet paper towel around the area you are soldering, so the heat does not melt the ties.

Make sure the rail joiners are good and tight, and there are no kinks in the joints.

Heat up the joint and then apply the solder before the rails cool down too much.

Let us know if any of that helps.

An iron like this seems to be most effective - I have a big one and never use it for any of my modeling / small electrical work.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use a soldering iron that has a needle nose type of tip. Use a soldering iron that does not have a switch, and let it heat up until it's ready. Has to be super hot.

Put wet paper towel around the area you are soldering, so the heat does not melt the ties.

Make sure the rail joiners are good and tight, and there are no kinks in the joints.

Heat up the joint and then apply the solder before the rails cool down too much.

Let us know if any of that helps.

An iron like this seems to be most effective - I have a big one and never use it for any of my modeling / small electrical work.

That worked perfectly. I think the wet paper towel made the difference.

In the past I was melting the ties and even the rail. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts