Model Train Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow. USS Saipan. Coincidently that is the project I just started, using a hull from a Baltimore class cruiser kit which I will widen a scale six-feet, then scratchbuild the rest. Here it is - just started. Not much to see so far . . .

The Saipan was cool. It was not a big carrier - you see it in the photo with USS Wasp behind it - perspective makes it look longer than Wasp but it was almost exactly the same length. It was a far better carrier, serving fewer planes (around 55 versus about 70) but armored and subdivided better so it would have easily survived a single torpodo hit like sank Wasp.

Saipan, despite its small size, was the first US carrier to fly jet fighters, doing testing and traing in early 1948 with the Jolly Rogers, squadron 17A, who were converting from Corsairs to the FH-1 jet fighter. I am going to try to find some models of the FH-1 (seems impossible) or have some 3D printed perhaps.

I hope to spend some quality time on it this afternoon.
Saipan so far.jpg

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thank you!!! However, I have them both. I have a collection of about 1400 books on Maritime and Naval history. Freidmann, in particular, has written some impressively detailed books on US warship design.
I'm not surprised you already have them. I'm quite impressed on the size of your book collection, thought. If I ever have a question about battle ships I'm coming to you!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just marvelous, Lee. You don’t take modeling and collecting to a different level, you’re in a whole different building. Thanks for sharing that with us.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I'm a Tin Can Sailor!!

Hi Lee,
In some of the free stuff I've been able to collect there were these two books on battleships. I saw your post on modeling war ships and thought you might like to have them. If so all I need is an address to send them too. I can't say I'll have them sent out in short order but I will sent them. I tried to send you a PM but couldn't get the picture to attach.
Richard
Hey Lee, We actually share a Hobby!! for years my Big Bro and I were the Model Masters of our Household building aurora Famous Monster Models, WWII Warplanes and yes, WWII Warships!1 Our Mom would yell at us to open a window in our bedroom from the Testors glue and enamels:laugh::laugh: Well years later our son decided he wanted to do the Battle of the Atlantic for his History Class project and we watched "Sink the Bismarck" Best WWII Naval Movie ever!! So he decideds he needs a visual object for his project...The Lindberg Bismarck 1/350 scale...that was fun for both of us as a Duo trading stories about my Navy career(especially aboard the USS MYles C Fox DD-829 Gearing class Destroyer) and his curiosity. Well as the due date approached he asks me.."Hey Dad..how do you say Prince Eugene..."No buddy that's Prinz Eugen" and that was it...went on line and went to Squadron Models and bought her for about $35...that was 26 years ago...boy plastic has become expensive:laugh::laugh: Anyway it's rekindled my love of Modeling and to this date we have roughly 16 DKM, HMS, USN Ships and a Submarine mostly Heller 1/400 scale with Revell, Lindberg,and Airfix!! If I can save enough Mad Money I'm going to buy some Tamiya 1/350:thumbsup:..So keep building and just super awesome detailing in your collection!! :thumbsup:
IMG_20190402_193518321.jpg

IMG_20190113_170323219.jpg

·
Registered
660 Posts
Wow. USS Saipan. Coincidently that is the project I just started, using a hull from a Baltimore class cruiser kit which I will widen a scale six-feet, then scratchbuild the rest.
Makes sense since the Saipan and her sister Wright were actually based on the Baltimore class heavy cruiser hull. :)

My dad served on the Saipan. This picture hangs in my office.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Guess I'm in good company here even if I was only on the Saipan for a short time.

But I was in VA-35 when they were flying AD-6's (later A-1) many of which are parked on the flight deck of the Shangri-La along with F9F Cougars.

My fathers (born 1908) name was Essex and hated it so he went by "Jack". Later when the Essex was christened he was kind of proud of it, especially when I joined the Navy.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Funny. I've been a student of WWII sea power my entire life. Just found out this week how the Shangri-La came to be named that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I was on the Shangri-La, they flew F8 Crusaders, the A-4 Skyhawk, and they still had a squadron of A-1 Skyraiders.
I was at Patuxent River (Then Naval Air Test Center) and got to know several of the test pilots, bought my house from one and several lived in the community. They loved the A4, called it the "Scooter." Not so much love for the F4.

That's a great picture. saved it. By the steam on the port side catapult I would think that a Cougar had just been launched while another is being lined up on the starboard side.

Ad-6/A1 pilots with contempt referred to jets as "sucking air and blowing smoke."

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,310 Posts
Lee, my feelings will be hurt if you don't make a model of the USS Shangri-La! :D
Buy a model and build one?
They are out there though not many.
Look nice sitting on a shelf in the train room.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1434210885

https://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-monogram-uss-shangri-la-renwal-ssp-plastic-model-military-ship-kit-1:500-scale-857819

https://www.squadron.com/1-500-Revell-USA-USS-Shangri-La-p/rm7819.htm

Commissioned in 1944, Shangri-La participated in several campaigns in the Pacific Theater of Operations in World War II, earning two battle stars. Like many of her sister ships, she was decommissioned shortly after the end of the war, but was modernized and recommissioned in the early 1950s, and redesignated as an attack carrier (CVA). She was the first American carrier with an angled deck, the modification completed in 1955. She operated in both the Pacific and Atlantic/Mediterranean for several years, and late in her career was redesignated as an anti-submarine carrier (CVS). She earned three battle stars for service in the Vietnam War.

Shangri-La was decommissioned in 1971 and sold for scrap in 1988.

Don't the last sentence bring a tear to your eye?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Wow. USS Saipan. Coincidently that is the project I just started, using a hull from a Baltimore class cruiser kit which I will widen a scale six-feet, then scratchbuild the rest. Here it is - just started. Not much to see so far . . .

The Saipan was cool. It was not a big carrier - you see it in the photo with USS Wasp behind it - perspective makes it look longer than Wasp but it was almost exactly the same length. It was a far better carrier, serving fewer planes (around 55 versus about 70) but armored and subdivided better so it would have easily survived a single torpodo hit like sank Wasp.

Saipan, despite its small size, was the first US carrier to fly jet fighters, doing testing and traing in early 1948 with the Jolly Rogers, squadron 17A, who were converting from Corsairs to the FH-1 jet fighter. I am going to try to find some models of the FH-1 (seems impossible) or have some 3D printed perhaps.

I hope to spend some quality time on it this afternoon.
View attachment 529286
Hi Lee, are you familiar with the Model Warship Forum? You would fit in there perfectly as those folks are serious modelers such as yourself and its is just a treasure trove of modeling ideas and Naval History!! Check it out it's really COOL!!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts