Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who haven't experienced it in their lifetime, this weekend, and especially at the Buffalo Bills game, they're expecting from 3' to upwards of 4' of snow this weekend. This lake effect band should make it very interesting during the game. I've been at the stadium in those kinds of storms, and they are really impressive.. Thank goodness for the 2 gallons of screwdrivers we had on hand.. This band will be coming from Lake Erie, and our North Country at the end of Lake Ontario will be seeing the exact same thing, the winds and snow coming from the West to the East.

· Registered
5,168 Posts
I have been watching the Buffalo forecast from our warm, sunny locale. Many years ago I was driving between Rochester and Pittsburgh on I-90 and ran into one of those lake effect snows. We were able to exit and get over to Route 20 where the snow was about one fourth the rate and make it to I-79.

· Railroad Tycoon
26,089 Posts
They already closed the Thruway to trucks. That was before the snow started ha ha ha. I agree, all it takes is 1 truck to jackknife and that is it.
I know the lake effect snow, as I ran deicer to the airport most of the winter years ago.
Never took the thruway, stuck to the backroads running into the airport.

I say if your going to shut the road down shut it down to all?
My truck loaded 80,000 lbs could travel in the snow a whole lot better then a car.
But like I said all it takes is one jackknife and the road is done. And there are a lot of newbies in trucks with automatics.
You can't do much in snow with automatics as you can with a manual trans.
Glad I don't have to drive in the mess anymore. :)

You should get some snow too?

· Registered
1,039 Posts
I hear the NFL moved the Buffalo Bills game to Detriot at Ford field to play the Browns this Sunday do to the weather.
Correct me if I am wrong...it is what I heard from my friends son Beasley, he is a huge football fan.😉

Reactions: flyernut

· Registered
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They already closed the Thruway to trucks. That was before the snow started ha ha ha. I agree, all it takes is 1 truck to jackknife and that is it.
I know the lake effect snow, as I ran deicer to the airport most of the winter years ago.
Never took the thruway, stuck on the backroads into the airport.

I say if your going to shut the road down shut it down to all?
My truck loaded 80,000 lbs could travel in the snow a whole lot better then a car.
But like I said all it takes is one jackknife and the road is done. And there are a lot of newbies in trucks with automatics.
You can't do much in snow with automatics as you can with a manual trans.
Glad I don't have to drive in the mess anymore. :)

You should get some snow too?
We may get a little. Where I am, we get dumped on with a Nor'easter.

· Registered
3,597 Posts
A number of years ago I had to go to Rochester, NY for my job. It was in the fall and as the taxi was taking me from the airport to downtown I noticed a series of poles along both sides of the road about 10' high. The cabbie explained that they were for snowfall so the plows would know where the road was. o_O

· Registered
5,484 Posts
I read years ago that in Glacier National Park in Montana they used to bring in survey crews to mark where the road was so plow drivers in all sorts of equipment wouldn't drive off the cliffs. Now of course they use GPS.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
South of Buffalo is getting hammered as I type this.
Don't know where the stadium is in respect to the weather map though.
World Ecoregion Map Line Parallel

So glad I live on the Leeward side of Lake Michigan.
I use to live in Hammond, Indiana during my teens and we got a lot of lake effect snow .....I surely do not miss the snow.
I am a semi Bear fan do to where I live and our division is basically in the dumps besides the Vikings.
A rebuilding year for us, Old men QB in Greenbay and the Lions never likes being competative for as long as I can remember when my Uncle watched...poor fans.
Guess that is why they love there college football teams.

Go Bears...ah, shucks, maybe next year.

· Registered
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
South of Buffalo is getting hammered as I type this.
Don't know where the stadium is in respect to the weather map though.
View attachment 593155
So glad I live on the Leeward side of Lake Michigan.
I use to live in Hammond, Indiana during my teens and we got a lot of lake effect snow .....I surely do not miss the snow.
I am a semi Bear fan do to where I live and our division is basically in the dumps besides the Vikings.
A rebuilding year for us, Old men QB in Greenbay and the Lions never likes being competative for as long as I can remember when my Uncle watched...poor fans.
Guess that is why they love there college football teams.

Go Bears...ah, shucks, maybe next year.
Nice map!! The Bills stadium is actually in Orchard Park, NY, in the blue area of snow.My little sister and my daughter went to college in Fredonia, NY, right smack dab in the middle of all that blue, very close to Lake Erie.If you look at your map, just to the right of Buffalo, there's a rt sign, I-90, our thruway.. That sign is within a few miles of where I scored all the train stuff several months ago...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts