Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have UP veranda turbine with digitrax dcc decoder (ho scale) and would like to add a sound decode. Which decode sound is appropriate?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Check the ESU website to see if that sound file is available for your locomotive for the decoder you intend to use. That is, if you choose an ESU decoder.

EDITED: Sorry I missed the part where you already had a decoder. I know nothing about those decoders, read on though if you like.

ESU Sound Decoder File List

ESU and Zemo are the only decoder manufacturer that I know of that sells the decoder interface so that you can program your own sound file. There may be others. I don't know.

Many retailers will program the ESU decoders at no charge if you purchase from them, but not all. Some don't have the equipment or the knowledge to perform the task.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
This seems to support it -- TSU-21PNEM

If you go to the diesel samples, and slide down you can see

"slab side" or "veranda"

and "big blow"

(my experience btw in replacing a DC board with a tsu-pnp was/is that in the end I needed a good soldering iron, tiny size screw drivers, magnifier of some sort, shrink wrap, thin gauge wire, some LEDs, some resistors)

·
Registered
965 Posts
My opinion only, but...

Since the sound of the UP turbine was roughly equivalent to the constant droning roar of a jet plane taking off (regardless of whether it was moving or stopped), I wonder if one would get tired of listening to it very quickly.

Again, my thoughts only. The only turbine-powered equipment I got to run were the Amtrak Turboliners, and though not as loud (smaller turbine), they produced the same constant, monotonized "drone"...

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Well, that's my objection to sound in general -- it gets old fast. Add to that the fact that it doesn't scale well, and you'll understand why my layout is and always will be devoid of sound locos.

If you do want it, though, the ability to "just add sound" to an existing decoder depends a lot on the decoder. Often, it's best just to swap the non-sound decoder for a sound one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those screaming monsters could be heard 8 miles away on the other side of the mountain and up close it hurt your ears bad. While waiting in Echo for the steam pushers to uncouple take the side track past, fill with coal and water and return to the rear and recouple they just sat there screaming as there was no idle to them just one setting. There was no way to shut them down and restart between Ogden, Cheyenne or Ohama.
I have 2 and they WILL NOT get sound decoders.

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
I couldn't tolerate that on a model scale... I can't imagine what it'd be like in real life.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like it but often turn it down down. But some how the sound adds a extra dimension for me ...
I agree with Severn on this. I love my sound equipted loco's over my non sound which is why I am converting my non sound as I can. And ensuring the needed dcc power is supplied to run my loco's while others sit idle. The only thing I do say, use decoders with optional optional volume such as a lower than default volume as well as a mute option. I am not sure if LokSound can have a alt volume setting, but mine can run in a mute mode. SoundTrax seems to have the ability to run Mute, Alt Sound, and Default Sound setting.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
ESU Loksound has more programming options of any DCC decoder I've seen. Half of it I don't even fool with, let alone understand.

But, master volume is definitely controllable and each sound is also individually controllable.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
This gets into why I like "silent" track. While I enjoy as much as anyone the booming sounds of diesel start up sequence or a high revving scream. I only enjoy that for a time and want to turn in down, way down as the thing goes around the track. When I do that I want to hear the real "fake" train noises not the mechanical noises of DC motors or something produced by the plastic base. I know that's all a little zany but that's where I am at. It crept up on me too. I used to literally have 100s of feet of Lionel o gauge track which I sold off. In ho I thought different scale, different products... But I still found it to be too loud in comparison to traditional style track. I even measured it at about a 10db difference. Anyway a little off topic maybe but related.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts