Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased The Explorer set by spectrum that I found at the goodwill for $60. Engine is a New york central Baldwin 2-8-0 w/DCC. I'm new to dcc and I want to know how to add sound. I understand it may require some rewiring and modifying, just don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Goodwill

Funny you mention Goodwill. I was wondering where I could find used ho stuff besides ebay or craigslist. So, I thought maybe I could find some at Goodwill and sure enough the second Goodwill I went to in my town I scored big time. I found 35 pieces of rolling stock the new stuff by Athearn in their original boxes. I took them out to inspect them and they have never been used.:) I paid two dollars a piece for all of them. I also found two three story hotels in their original box's, never opened. So every since I hit Goodwill up every week! Sorry I run DC only. I know nothing of sound or DCC!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I am going to wade in here even though I have not got DCC yet.
Been reading alot though. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Since your engine already has DCC it might be as easy as unplugging
the decoder in there now and plugging in a decoder w/sound and
mounting the speaker. I do not know which decoder to use.
Sounds like a deal you got and I might have to hit some Goodwills
myself. I like deals.

Welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I hear the speaker can be mounted in the tender on the steamers.
Should be plenty of room there. Just an idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's got the tether. Been studying the wiring diagram it came with and found out it has an 8 pin decoder that controls lights, speed and direction.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
ok before you all get the new DCC guy any more confused about it I will step in. :p

A 2-8-0 is the perfect size for a DCC sound installation. You have a Spectrum which I can garanty you will be easier to just remove the decoder from it now and just install a sound decoder into it. It will already have a mounting spot in the tender for the correct size speaker so that is not a problem. Now you will want to make sure the headlight and reverse light are bright enough for you before you install the sound decoder so you can replace those at the same time. I have a thread about DCC and DCC/Sound installs and it will guide you through it all. (I will link at end of my post) The decoder to get is a Soundtraxx Tsunami most likely the TSU-1000 decoder here: http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/1000.php
The Light Steam sound clip is the one you want. The tender saves you all of the wiring problems of converting a DC engine to DCC as the tender will be pre wired for the red and black pickups that go to the new decoder and then the two piece connector that goes to the locomotive (these are also pickups) and then your four piece connector is forward light and motor control. I would recomend useing the cam piece that comes with steam engine decoders for a more realistic chuffing. I would also say add a smoke unit into it while you are in there. That is controled by a function button normally. Then you add in or wire in the revers light and you done as soon as you solder the speaker on to its respective wires. It will be much easier to just remove the old DCC decoder and install a new one. It will also makeit less likely to fry.

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=5603
(my very own stickied thread :D)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I find your thread to be very helpful. Now I just have to order the parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts