Model Train Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,566 Posts
Thanks. Now just need to decide how I want to fill that dead space. I don't think a residential setting would look right and can't really do any more rail serviced industries.
Looking good. (y) Or looking well. :)

A diner would be nice with a gas station nearby?
Auto lot? With an old house for the office?
Scrap yard?
Truck stop? Or truck terminal?

Reactions: BigGRacing

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looking good. (y) Or looking well. :)

A diner would be nice with a gas station nearby?
Auto lot? With an old house for the office?
Scrap yard?
Truck stop? Or truck terminal?
All good ideas and would fit in quite well or good 😁. Even before I started my layout I thought a RR museum would be cool to do and this might be a good spot and a gas station and diner would fit in good with that.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,566 Posts
All good ideas and would fit in quite well or good 😁. Even before I started my layout I thought a RR museum would be cool to do and this might be a good spot and a gas station and diner would fit in good with that.
A museum would be nice, and old locomotives, old cabooses and passenger cars sitting around it.
Bring a siding in for the scenic RR train. :)

Reactions: BigGRacing

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Why did you not have cork or foam roadbed under main line ? Sidings, spurs, yards OK without..
But main should be shouldered..Plus it likely will be noisy running without roadbed, track right down on ply...
Also, having all powered switches (TOs) forces you to have a fixed panel for the buttons on a track schematic, or to mount buttons on fascia adjacent to each switch. With a panel you won't really be sure if you've got the correct route of each or not, being far away from switches..Bench is shallow enough you could have skipped motors and thrown switches manually, the way the 1:1 scale does in most every situation...Towers do throw switches remotely, but it's mostly on high speed main lines. All switching/interchanging is done manually..
I do like the layout, otherwise...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Why did you not have cork or foam roadbed under main line ? Sidings, spurs, yards OK without..
But main should be shouldered..Plus it likely will be noisy running without roadbed, track right down on ply...
Also, having all powered switches (TOs) forces you to have a fixed panel for the buttons on a track schematic, or to mount buttons on fascia adjacent to each switch. With a panel you won't really be sure if you've got the correct route of each or not, being far away from switches..Bench is shallow enough you could have skipped motors and thrown switches manually, the way the 1:1 scale does in most every situation...Towers do throw switches remotely, but it's mostly on high speed main lines. All switching/interchanging is done manually..
I do like the layout, otherwise...
Main reason that the mainlines don't have roadbed is nothing for the most part is permanently mounted, besides nailing the flex track for curves and a couple switches. I'm basically in the design phase yet, figuring out how I want everything before I start adding scenery, but for now I'm just enjoying running my trains. Will likely lay 2" foam and road bed but just winging it for now. As far as switches go, even though many have a motor all are used manually but don't do it just because that's how the 1:1, I just enjoying manually doing it plus the motors keep the switches in place. Once I lay the track permanently I will get rid of the motors.
As far as the noise, when my ears start bleeding from the insane amount of noise created I just get some ear plugs. "Joking" honestly I don't get why people are so concerned about noise level. Noise is pretty minimal, unless you need a completely silent train. I run mostly Athearn bb so the noise from those is more than any rail noise.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts