Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Too small for O gauge.
You could get a small HO layout in that space but it would be vary limited.
You could get a pretty nice N gauge layout there.
N is kind'o small and a little difficult to work with but it's probability
your best option.
There are some very nice N gauge people here to give you more info.

Magic

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I have only a space of 4.5 by 5.5 feet for a layout. Is this sufficient?

johnnycee6;

Welcome to the forum!

The space you have is enough to build a layout. HO-scale would just fit, but you would be limited to an oval mainline and some sidings. A small space is a good place to take advantage of a smaller scale, like N-scale or Z-scale. You could make a very interesting layout in your limited space, using either of these scales. The limited rectangular space you have should not be completely filled with one continuous slab table, unless you can walk around at least three, preferably all four, sides. If it were one big piece, you wouldn't be able to to reach across it to clean track, re-rail trains, etc. A 'C'-shaped layout, with a narrow part in the center would be a better shape. That would solve the access problem.

The files below are some that I wrote to help new modelers contemplating building their first layout. Look through them if you want to. They have a lot of information that may help you decide what kind of layout you want, and get you started building.

again welcome;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

View attachment 1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment Tips for handling small parts.pdf

View attachment All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

View attachment MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

View attachment Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf

·
Registered
924 Posts
18 AWG bus wires

will a group of 18AWG wires, originally set up for single locomotive dc operation. handle DCC dual locomotive operations
Regards,tr1

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Not sure what you mean by 'group of wires' but
if your locos run well on the track as DC, they'll
likely run just as well with DCC on the track.

The typical DCC loco running at a visually correct
speed will draw around .3 or .4 amp. The typical
DCC system will provide 1 or 2 amps to the track, so you
see you have plenty of power for 2, 3 or more
non sound locos. Sound locos do draw more
current than non sound, however.

As usual, the precautions; make sure track and
loco wheels are clean for good electrical
conductivity.

Don

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Yes

will a group of 18AWG wires, originally set up for single locomotive dc operation. handle DCC dual locomotive operations
Regards,tr1
tr1;

Your existing 18Ga. wires should be fine for DCC operation. Were these wire used to feed the output of a DC power pack out to various parts of your track? If they were, the they will serve equally well to distribute the output of a DCC controller around your layout. You may have read about DCC wiring that used 14Ga. buss wires, and smaller feeder wires connected to those bus wires every 6-8 feet. That's a good system for a large layout. However, most 4' x 8' ,or similar-sized small layouts can make do with only one, or two, pairs of feeder wires, from the controller to the track, and don't need bus wires at all. There's no harm in using them, but they're not really necessary. As Don said, if your present wiring worked well with DC, it will work with DCC.

regards;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
You can lay 22" r curves with 4.5', but your straights will be very short between curves.

A switching layout might be good and you could cut the width down somewhat. Or leave it and curve the tracks at each end to an industry or imagine that they join the main.

That size real estate would be better for N scale or even TT.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have only a space of 4.5 by 5.5 feet for a layout. Is this sufficient?
N scale would definitely give you a decent layout in that space. Z scale is even smaller so it would give you even more. TT is between N and Ho so would also give you a nice layout. From what I have heard N has the most variety of locos, rolling stock buildings and figures of the 3. My advice would be go to a hobby shop and physically see what one looks best to you and check online to see what’s available in each. For me personally Z is out of the question I model in N and I can barely see that! Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts