Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a life like f40-ph that was spray painted a flat black by a friend before he gave it to me. it originally was a santa fe scheme out of the factory. is there a way to reveal that factory made scheme or am i better off just repainting it myself?

cheers!!
Mlw261

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I don't think anything that will remove the flat black will leave much of the original paint scheme that would be worth reusing. You're probably better off to repaint it. I like denatured alcohol as a paint stripper, but keep an eye on it. When the paint just starts to soften scrub the model with a stiff toothbrush to remove as much paint as will come off, then repeat the process until the model is clean.
Welcome to the forum, BTW! Most of us are a little weird, some a LOT weird, but you'll get used to us.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I've always used isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to remove paint... from plastic & metal.
If the model was sealed with a top-coat such as DullCote, it won't be easy to strip off just the black.
But if there's no top-coat, there's a chance that a gentle soak will do what you want.
Can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Look for one on ebay, or google images to see original paint scheme. It is not a very expensive loco, so if re-painting fails, you could buy another.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
If you had gotten to the paint within about a week, when it was still curing, it would have been much easier. At this point, it is unlikely that anything you do will affect only the new paint and not the factory paint underneath? At the very least, some touch-up will probably be necessary.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,511 Posts
I would watch using a "Denatured alcohol".
Depends on what it is denatured with, some of the denaturing chemicals mixed with the ethanol will get the paint off nicely.
Some will melt your plastic!
Denatured alcohol gets denatured with a lot of different chemicals.
Denatured with 99% Isopropanol is fine, denatured with acetates or ketones, I would watch closely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys so i just out of curiosity took a eraser and rubed the model and to my amazement with some elbow grease off it came now i started to see orange so i called my buddy to ask him are you sure it was a santa fe? he said he had repainted it to a Millwaukee road scheme for a short time before giving it to me so at this point i think im just going to get the black off and deal with the orange at a later time.

Yes that is a lego piece hot glued to the top of the cab as a marker light that was my buddy's doing. hey i got a free lego piece out of the deal!!!! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts