Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to keep one scenery project and one rolling stock project going at a time. I've been staring at this everyday I walk by it for a month now because I can't sort out how to solve the problem. Here's what it looks like now:
Tire Furniture Table Wheel Wood

Wood Art Engineering Sculpture Wing

It is supposed to go in the corner, the curve is where the track goes. The flat part in the middle is for a tiny farm, further up I'm going to put a still. The whole area will be treed with shrubs along the cliffside. the rock wall didn't come out great (I wish it was lighter grey) but I can live with it. Still have to cover the bottom angle with scree but that's later in the project)
The problem I'm having is with ground cover for the top. I get the mix glue and paint for the first layer, then sprinkle on the ground cover. My problem is the part after that, because I can't get the glue to go on afterwards with any reliability. I've tried the wicking thing and it left streaks, I bought a woodland scenics spray glue bottle but after one use the sprayer is broken. I tried to find a cheap mister and it sprays instead of misting. I suck at scenery anyway, but I should be able to solve a practical problem like this.
Dunno, just venting. Maybe this afternoon I'll hit the hardware store to see if I can find something that will work.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
For the second (and third & fourth...) layers of ground cover I do it pretty much like ballast. The difference being I spray the alcohol on first, then apply the glue/water mix with a piping bottle.

When ballasting the alcohol is applied with the piping bottle also... to keep it contained.

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
I mean, there's a lot to unpack here... and we could spend hours discussing your techniques. First of all, repaint it using a much lighter shade of gray (there's no "wishing" it was a lighter shade... MAKE it a lighter shade). Any of numerous scenery techniques will work -- misting, wicking, dribbling, etc. Try a few and see which one you like best. I think you have 2 major problems, though. First, you seem to expect that you will have first pass success with every technique. You won't. Everything takes practice. Secondly, it's like you expect the scenery fairy to come and make your scenery right. That won't happen -- YOU need to work at it until you get it right. If your "wicking" method leaves streaks, evaluate why, and do better next time. Most likely you either didn't wet it beforehand, your adhesive is too thick, or you're not using enough of it.

As far as your sprayer breaking, well, even WS can make a defective product every now and again, but the most likely cause is operator error: either whatever you tried to spray through it was too thick, or you didn't clean it afterwards. Anyway, I have good luck with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N7RLM7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But the number one thing you are doing wrong on scenery: looks like you're trying to do it from memory. Find a photo of what you want your landscape to look like and use that as a guide.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Can't grow corn on Ol' Rocky Top,
The soil's too rock by far.
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top
Get their corn from a jar.
Once two strangers climbed ol Rocky Top
Lookin’ for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain’t come down from Rocky Top
Reckon they never will!

Always wondered how many other “Official State Songs” casually suggested murder. Ah well, guess it comes with the territory.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Murv2: If you subscribe to the Right Brain /Left Brain theory, then your skills as a locomotive kit builder and re-builder (Left Brain) are polar opposite to the design of scenery (Right Brain).

Even so, I’m sure with practice and the previous suggestions on here you can create passable scenery that you’ll be satisfied with.
Have a set goal for a look you want to achieve and keep expectations realistic.
Yes, some of the layouts we see on here are museum quality, but most aren’t and still create a nice effect.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The only time I had a problem with the sprayer is if I did not clean it thoroughly.
After I'm done I take it rinse the extra glue out then I keep filling the bottle and I'll spray the water our that way the hose and nozzle are getting cleaned. I'll also do a full bottle of dish soap and water and spray that out. After like 2 or 3 full bottles you should be good. If you spray and see white them spray more.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean, there's a lot to unpack here... and we could spend hours discussing your techniques. First of all, repaint it using a much lighter shade of gray (there's no "wishing" it was a lighter shade... MAKE it a lighter shade). Any of numerous scenery techniques will work -- misting, wicking, dribbling, etc. Try a few and see which one you like best. I think you have 2 major problems, though. First, you seem to expect that you will have first pass success with every technique. You won't. Everything takes practice. Secondly, it's like you expect the scenery fairy to come and make your scenery right. That won't happen -- YOU need to work at it until you get it right. If your "wicking" method leaves streaks, evaluate why, and do better next time. Most likely you either didn't wet it beforehand, your adhesive is too thick, or you're not using enough of it.

As far as your sprayer breaking, well, even WS can make a defective product every now and again, but the most likely cause is operator error: either whatever you tried to spray through it was too thick, or you didn't clean it afterwards. Anyway, I have good luck with these: Amazon.com

But the number one thing you are doing wrong on scenery: looks like you're trying to do it from memory. Find a photo of what you want your landscape to look like and use that as a guide.
You are right of course. I was painting something light grey anyway (not sure why I didn't think to use railroad paints on the scenery instead of krylon) so I misted the wall over with it, should be light enough now.
I do recall cleaning the sprayer last time I used it, but maybe not good enough. I've got one of those squeezy tubes around here somewhere, I'll use that with the glue in the spray bottle.
Must look at pictures...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I usually do my scenery in multiple layers. I paint the foam first then I go and apply ground cover. After that I use static grass and any other low lying cover then I’ll hit the static grass with more ground foam to give some variety in the color. After static grass is put down I’ll usually use aquanet hair spray liberally to hold the top layer of ground foam in place. It works out good for me anyway

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The project is moving again. Got the ground cover down and the wall is satisfactory now to me (going to glue some bushes and one tree sticking out of it). Next is planting corn between the huts (after all, they are gentlemen farmers and not moonshiners), and paint the still. It is Woodland Scenics and extremely busy.
Plant Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk

Table Wood Flooring Art Metal

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good work, natural looking greenery and soil, what is next, trees? The rock looks really good too, can't wait to see the whole scene on the layout.
Next was the cornfield:
Motor vehicle Combat vehicle Wood Vehicle Grass

And the still:
Camouflage Military camouflage Wood Marines Organism

I've got a couple people to paint, plus some Bambis and a bunch of trees and bushes to do.
Shaping up though...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts