Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to like the dark roadbed better. Just judging by the ad it looks like it is more flexible for curves, etc.

Also looking to put extruded foam subroadbed on top of the Mianne benchwork I've ordered.

As always, opinions/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I didn't know they made roadbed in different shades. I've used both foam (black) and cork roadbed, and found neither to be really superior to the other. Assuming you will ballast your track, I don't think it matters which you choose...it would be covered up. If no ballast, then it would be your personal choice for your railroad.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
I think Fire21 may be speaking for a lot of us as he says there
really isn't that much difference between foam and cork roadbeds.
Both have a 'split' that enables easier curve construction. Foam
makes it easier to have a level track on an uneven base since
it can be compressed when needed.
I've used both. Personal taste has a lot to do with your choice.

Don

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Agree. Once you have roadbed in place, properly fixed with no kinks in any direction, up or sideways, no bad seams, the tracks and ballast will look and perform the same way. Go cheapest you can, and make the finished product reliable and appealing to look at.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
So you did start your own thread on this. I replied jn more detail on the other.

As folks have said, pick one. It doesn't matter at all. It's much more important that you get it FLAT, because any wrinkles or kinks will translate to your track.

Most people add a thin layer of real or fake gravel ballast on top of the roadbed.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have the cork and like it. It's really two strips as its cut down the middle. i like it as is and haven't ballasted. it's more flexible than it might seem and this hasn't been issue for me. the brand is "midwest products" ... just bought a box of it at the local hobby store. no idea if there are other brands etc...

here it is ... "HO" Cork Roadbed-SKU 3013

well it's out of stock there, may be its still out and about in retail channels.

if i ballast i probably won't glue it as i want to be able to take it all up -- but that's a special case. most people appear to glue the ballast. and i can always change my mind on this point.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I have the cork and like it. It's really two strips as its cut down the middle. i like it as is and haven't ballasted. it's more flexible than it might seem and this hasn't been issue for me. the brand is "midwest products" ... just bought a box of it at the local hobby store. no idea if there are other brands etc...

here it is ... "HO" Cork Roadbed-SKU 3013

well it's out of stock there, may be its still out and about in retail channels.

if i ballast i probably won't glue it as i want to be able to take it all up -- but that's a special case. most people appear to glue the ballast. and i can always change my mind on this point.
Severn, if you do ballast but don't glue it, it WILL end up in your locomotive gears and other internals. Either glue it or don't ballast at all.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Severn, if you do ballast but don't glue it, it WILL end up in your locomotive gears and other internals. Either glue it or don't ballast at all.
Yup. I'll second that opinion. Ballast is cheap and widely available. The benefit of saving and reusing it is pretty small, weighed against the price of a new loco or drive train.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
yeah... and of course it'll fly about all over the place etc... i haven't decided. or even really experimented. further my not quite (inches to go!) resurrected loop on my new foam may not be in a permanent placement. and my next job once i get this thing finally connected up -- besides just making sure it appears to work. is to add in some switches which sit piled up in a box. so ballast may be a long way off even.

i actually thought about just painting the cork gray. but the cork looks ok to me as is -- i know i'm in the minority though on that aspect.

i even thought about -- and this is surely just stupid, getting some kind of paint roller you know something arts and cart oriented that approx 1/4 o 3/8 wide if such can be found with some kind of pattern -- and running that around the cork edges using black to make it look more ... well gravelly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tend to like the dark roadbed better. Just judging by the ad it looks like it is more flexible for curves, etc.

Also looking to put extruded foam subroadbed on top of the Mianne benchwork I've ordered.

As always, opinions/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
I inherited a lot of stuff from my cousin when he passed 15 or so years ago, and am just now building a layout, since I can no longer get down on my knees to work on my garden scale rr...he had a couple full boxes of cork roadbed and 2 boxes of foam roadbed. I've found that the 15 years have dried out the cork pretty much and it had a tendency to break on me...tried wetting it down and didn't really seem to help much, but I didn't soak it...I'd have to vote for the foam...I like the solid color and the ease to put it down....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Cork has a tendency to dry out and become brittle and hard to work with. This will only be an issue if you are going to be keeping it a long time and then try to use it. Once it's down it won't matter. I was given some old cork roadbed and used it. It kept breaking and crumbling on me. Of course if you're going to cover it it won't matter.

I've used both new cork and new foam finding the foam just a little easier to work with on curves.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I never thought of that although I think (some kinds of) foam also have the tendency to break down with time. Well doesn't everything really?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts