Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am starting my layout it is 8' X 14' plywood top. I am thinking about laying a layer of 2in foam board for cutting out landscaping. My question is how to fasten down the track? I am using flex track code 100. Is glue the only option? or should I not use the foam board? I don't want any problems down the road.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
106 Posts
Laying track

There is a lot to consider here. How are you going to wire the layout. Are you going to use DCC. I would recomend not trying to fasten the track to foam board. I would always have something solid like wood under it. It is important to have a sturdy, straight surface. If you want to elevate the track use wood cut to fit with your foam cut around it. As far as mounting the track I use track nails (brads painted black available at most train stores.) in the holes in the center of the track on top of a cork roadbed, which has been glued to the wood surface. The nails should go through the cork and into the wood. There is a surprising amount of force exerted by the running trains. The foam can be glued to the wood with glue (I use Beacon CraftForm Gule by Becon) there are others and I think even white glue would work. All available at crafts stores. You can use Plastic trestles and such just make sure they are secured with nails to the wood. Hope this helps give you years of happy railroading.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
I do have a 2'x3' hole cut out in the center, I can walk around the layout. I want to stay with the foam board to make the scenery more life like. Dose anyone have any suggestions for an epoxy to glue the quark pad to the foam?
Thanks you guys are great.
John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Many people have glued the track directly to the foam, in fact the Rr magazines all had articles about it. I got into the hobby before foam was an option, but i would use it today. The 2" % over foam is very strong, just don't use the white styrofoam with the beads, stick with the pink stuff. Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts