Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this is a dead horse topic, but I am going to be needing to install some static grass, Suggestions on applicator and tips on grass brand size etc

Registered
Look up the do-it-yourself applicators. I think YT has several videos. That's the way I would go.
Ion generators are cheap on-line or u can use a flyswatter 馃槅
Also look >here<

Registered
This is NOT a suggestion but I just bought the Peco applicator because I just didnt want to buy the one from Woodland Scenics. But the Peco one I bought only goes to 4mm grass length or something of that nature. Still for HO this seems more than enough. I then bought from Amazon some static grass from some UK company -- mainly that I was not paying attention to the details of the click on Amazon. Took forever to get here but I now have several bags in various greens and tans. I also got a bag or two from the local hobby store ... this is woodland scenics brand.

And here's the part about not being a real suggestion, review or recommendation -- I haven't used any of it yet!

The item though is about the length and diameter of a large but not huge flashlight. It appears to take a couple of batteries and you attach a ground line to the layout and ... I assume this creates the static charge when powered on.

There's a chamber for the grass -- and a fine mesh screen over the end of it to help align the grass at is falls out as you wave the thing over the area -- where one has placed glue and the grass then falls in vertically and well you get the idea...

In its way there's just about nothing to it ... but I didn't feel like fiddling with my own creation and went for the pre-made one.

Registered
Severn, how long was your package held up in Customs?

4mm is plenty long for grass in HO scale. That's over a foot tall. I'm sure the city would sending out notices for grass that tall!

Registered
Oh I don't know. I had several items and it was just generally slow. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks but it seemed forever. So the reason I got the package is because it had mixed colors and lengths. I think 1mm to 2 or even 3mm. The woodland scenics offerings seem a little longer -- 3 or 4 mm? I think they called it flack or something.

anyway it was this brand -- Static Grass | WWScenics

and I got the package with 5 colors and I believe its 1mm to 4 mm as I said.

Registered
I bought a cheap ebay version. There is some skill and practice needed. My first mistake was using diluted glue.

Registered
I would think you want it to stand up when it hits the glue, so not dilute it. i was thinking that but didn't try it. i was going to use elmers.

Registered
There are a host of different methods, tips, tricks, etc. posted online. The diluted white glue seems to be the adhesive of choice in most, but not all, procedures. I would expect that a drop of dish soap would make the water/glue mixture wetter. I would research before attempting, and try a test area.
IMO

Registered
also there the post clean up which involves a vacuum. i saw one kits where the wrapped a bit of panty hose over the end and made a pocket... and that seemed to work well for capturing it ... i would think anything even a sock might be ok though that had a fine mesh to it..

Registered
Haha the panty hose trick is a lifesaver for retrieving rogue coupler springs and 0-80 screws 馃槄

Registered
also there the post clean up which involves a vacuum. i saw one kits where the wrapped a bit of panty hose over the end and made a pocket... and that seemed to work well for capturing it ... i would think anything even a sock might be ok though that had a fine mesh to it..
Yes I use a thin handkerchief. Recover about 50% of the grass as I'm still learning.

Registered
The March / April 2010 edition of Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine had detailed instructions for DIY static grass applicators, and a how to apply video as well. Back editions are available as a free download kn their website (www.model-railroad-hobbyist.com).

I paint my terrain with undiluted matte medium, then apply the static grass. Work in a small area (2'x2') so you have time to "plant" it before the glue dries.

Reactions: Andy57 and Severn

Registered
I know, well not specifically. I just realized I'd never build it myself for all my best intent so way overpaid for a prebuilt jobber.

Registered
I hear ya completely. You will probably be real happy with the one you bought!! (y)

Registered
You are dealing with some really high voltage and if you're a little unsure about building your own, I think you made a wise decision to buy something prebuilt.

Registered
Mine is a battery powered one from MicroMark. It cost $40, and works great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts