Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 weeks in and 4 more weeks for sure, if not more. The layout certainly is getting a workout. Will be running trains that haven't seen the light of day for years.

For those that are under the Stay at Home Mandate what are ya doing to get through the days.

Bill

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Laid six more feet of narrow gauge rail last evening. I would have laid more but I ran out of rail.

I have 20' down and roughly 27' to go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Spinning my wheels.....and unfortunately they are not attached to any train cars.
I was just about to begin work on my benchwork but now everything is on lockdown. Can't get my materials. A huge kick in the, well, you know.
So I'm using the time to continue to read, research, plan, doodle, read some more, watch how-to YouTube videos, that kind of thing. By the time I am able to actually build my benchwork I should have all the knowledge anyone could need to build a sweet layout....right? C'mon, right? I have also spent time scouring eBay and such looking for items that would be relevant to what I want to do. I have had some success. Take care, forum members. We can all get through this. Be safe.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,712 Posts
Working outdoors when I can.
Getting my garden ready for vegetables, trimming trees, pulling out weed vines by my west side fence. Been meaning to do that for years. Man those vines are rooted! Got them all out. Powered washed the front of the house got to do the rest. I did have one nice day to do it. Too cold lately.
Cleaning up my train stuff finding things I didn't know I had or forgot.
Plan to wax all my hardwood floors, bought a machine to help me.
Cleaning the garage, that has been an on going project for many years.

Buying things online then waiting for the truck to deliver. I don't like my stuff laying out on the porch.
Just researching online for the best deal takes a while.

And whatever else I can find to do, got to clean the dryer lint vents today!
Been putting that off, everyone should do that as it might save your house from being burned down.

I got two online games for battling.

And as far as TV, I watch what she watches.
And the news though it is all just corona corona corona!

Even the commercials!

I have tons of other things on MY to do list.
The only thing she is pushing me to do is the dryer, she never asks me to do much as she knows what my list contains.
I will do that today, just for her.:)

I have to snake some drains out too and clean the traps of hair.
I hate that job.

Been playing with the trains some too, I want to set up something like a 4x8 for my long packed HO trains.
I have the little N table leaning against the wall, want to also run some N scale. Been thinking about adding some N scale track on the HO table, mainly just to run both of them.
I have not played with the HO for a long time.

Keeping busy around the house, I only ventured out twice. Once to turn in my uniforms and keys at work. One to the dumps.

Watching all the girls out jogging is fun too.
Though I make it look like I am not watching them. :giggle:

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mid sixties for the past 2 days make for perfect weather for outside yard work. Plenty to do in the yard if I get ambitious.

Bill

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I bought a bunch of fencing over a month ago. Finally got around to setting it up around a new station platform.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I got the backdrop seams sanded (they already had the initial tape and mud layer on them), put the skim coat on, sanded that, then gave it a coat of primer. I've also framed the lift-up section, and have been working on getting the double crossover linkage to work right.
Plus lots of time on YouTube and different model railroad forums. Been off work for the past two weeks, I have a phone number to call anytime after midnight Monday to find out about next week.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
We aren't under a 'stay at home' mandate in British Columbia, but most businesses are closed due to the expense of staying open with less than half the normal revenue and if they are designated as non-essential. Pet stores are essential, as are clinics, grocery stores, hardware stores, and so on. But nail salons, barbers, tanning salons...they are closed to keep too many people from getting too close.

In BC we are practicing 'social distancing', meaning only household people can walk together or be seated on park benches...if the parks are open, which most are not in urban areas. Friends and strangers are to keep 2 meters apart, and the grocery stores have lines painted where people wait to get in until a person leaves the store...strictly monitored. Arrows are taped down aisles making them one way so people don't swipe past each other going in both directions.

We are encouraged to go outdoors and to shop only when absolutely necessary, and only one person should expose him/herself at a time doing these things.

I get out for an aggressive run/walk most days, I have yard work coming up, house repairs such as gutter cleaning and leveling, and we watch TV or read or spend time at the computer. Our little Italian Greyhound demands that I throw the ball for her across the yard about five times daily, sessions which last about 8-10 minutes with her tearing back and forth at that typical greyhound zip.

And, I have spent more time in the train room the past two weeks than I did all fall. Fiddling with track when a large boiler won't negotiate a curve like it did last week :unsure:,lubing engines, and getting set to build the yard...finally.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm going to work. I haul raw milk. I am a bit envious of you all that get to stay home, although I'm quite sure my bank account wouldn't be too happy about it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Here we have nothing but near exponential growth of cases... but luckily not at ny levels. Starting from a few but weeks ago to a few thousand now. Yet the official fear is we will get there. And people are wearing masks but not all, now. Testing we here continues to both improve but be problematic... Basically we under test and have a long delay in results. Yet we test ever more. So we hear this is improving but not what we need. Meanwhile the governor has ratchetted up the stay at home orders several times with limited grumbling of teeth so far. Now after three weeks I think I personally believe we should do more... because as I said we simply add yet more cases... It's rather hard to see the results of our efforts. Yet I do see that the trend is not truly exponential... perhaps that's what we have done. But I am greedy, I want more obvious results... All I know is if we had 10000 cases a day like New York we would sink... I can't even imagine it. Just today there was a faint glimmer in that the number of new cases was less than the day before. Yet perhaps we ran out lab chemicals, so no point being too hopeful ... until we see a multiday trend. And then when one ventures out ... The roads are not busy but there has to be a good 25% of previous levels on them. Where are folks going? Vast swaths of businesses are closed. The grocery stores are open. Places like Home Depot are open or offer some kind of curb side service. Food services are open if they want to be for pick up or delivery. But...and I'm completely sympathetic to the plight of everyone in this.. I think at this point I'd rather have an absolute 100% stay home order for say a month... Then try to open back up over the next month... I mean you know something like that if it was likely to succeed because it's not clear this halfsy approach is paying dividends.

Btw quick note to the milk man -- milk has never run out here. And that's thanks to guys like you!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mostly Working on aquired, used turnouts here. A lil filing here, a lil solder there. Some grease-em graphite inside the track mounted machines that I have few of too. Learned how to wire electro frogs of a double slip switch I have. Banged my head for almost an hour figuring out how to wire the three frogs of a three way turnout. Once I 'saw the light', I laughed at myself.
Finished up the last of the kadee coupler conversions that needed done. While I did get good at the #5 style couplers, (because I had a mass of them) I had to buy more couplers and, went with whisker style. Boy oh boy! Never going back now.
Set up an oval of fast track, test track on a piece of luan 'cause, a section of flex track just doesn't do it for me. What next? I dunno. Maybe start cutting and dying some replacement ties...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Now this might qualify as reading chicken entrails but I saw a brief news item that gilead Inc was donating it's current stock of remdesivir...and gearing up for larger production. Which reading between the lines suggests to me it must be showing some positive results in the many trials ongoing with it. Once again, could be chicken entrails...

·
Admin
43,794 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, the number of cases will expand as they expand testing. It's not like many of those cases weren't active before, it's just they didn't test that many people.

There are lies, and then there are statistics. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts