Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever removed a motor from a steam engine and had it run like a dummy diesel?
I'd like to do a mountain road and they ran engines in tandem.
I have a hulk that doesn't run and thought this might be a use for it....but then again maybe I shouldn't.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Yes, several times. It works but the unpowered steam locos do require a bit of pull by the powered locos to move them smoothly. They dl not roll as easily as dummy diesels.

·
Admin
45,965 Posts
For many steam locos, you just have to pull the motor, then they'll freewheel. As Lee says, with the extra mechanical moving parts, rolling resistance will be more than a simple diesel. Now, if you want smoke and sound, that will be different.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Lee has probably posted a thread on steam dummies here at some point. But you should heed his advice about how they add drag to the powered unit. If you are building a mountain road with significant grades, the non-powered steamer might just be the only thing your powered unit can pull up the grade.

You would be better off getting twin LC+ steamers and running them off of one remote. Lee has probably done that too.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
On second thought, you could use a steam dummy to model a helper pair returning to base after pushing a train up a grade. But don't expect the pair to pull much other than perhaps a caboose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi TRH, you might want to watch the YouTube video, 1939 American Flyer O Gauge Mountain Red Ball Double Header Set No. 310 The set came with a powered locomotive and an unpowered second steam locomotive with a special front coupler. What locomotives are you planning to run? Are you running conventional transformer control or command control? Does your unpowered dummy steamer have a front coupler? There are other posts on the forum that talk about double heading steamers. Attached is a picture of my Lionel 224 with modified front coupler to double head. Try it, you'll like it.
Scale model Transport Track Railway Vehicle
Auto part Vehicle Metal

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I've done it with American Flyer engines. I just pulled the drive gear off of the rear drive axles.That way I still had choo choo and smoke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts